Our cat can count

Discussion in 'Pets' started by marlingardener, Apr 4, 2018.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

We have three cats, whoopee! One cat, Timi, accompanies me to the barn each morning, hops up on the shelf outside the chicken coop, and waits for her cracker. I give the hens oyster crackers in the morning to get them away from the coop door so I can get in without stepping on a hen. Timi made it clear she expected a cracker also. I gave her ONE.
    I put a cracker on the shelf, she ate it and then patiently waited to be petted when I came out of the coop. One morning last week I was filling the cracker jar and accidentally dropped TWO crackers on the shelf. Timi ate both. The next morning I put down a cracker for her and she looked at me, looked at the cracker jar, and waited for her second cracker. We now have a cat that can count to two.
    If I ever spill crackers I'm in big trouble . . . .

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. marlingardener
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Daniel W
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Haha that's cute! I'm quite certain my dog can count too. He's a smart bugger ... we have to lock our pantry when we go out so he doesn't help himself to the crackers LOL

marlingardener likes this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Oh Jane.......what have you gone and done?

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Well you know cats aren't stupid so counting up to two is going to be just the beginning!! I'll bet Timi is working out how to trip you up so that you drop the whole cracker jar. :chuckle:

2ofus and marlingardener like this.

Advertisement
  6. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

One cracker, two cracker, three or four?
    How can I get her to give me more.

Smart kitty.

My folks had a cat named Isabelle that woke my father up at 6:00 each morning by jumping up on the bed and touching her paw on his forehead. Of course, this also meant that Isabelle would be fed, so she had an ulterior motive, except on weekends, she would let him sleep later. Nice kitty.

Jerry

7. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

That is so cute....2 is always better than 1 , I have to agree...

We have 2 Chihuahua mixes that wake up from our laps at about the same time each night and want to get their pieces of banana and go to bed....most of the time they have been sleeping for over an hour and they just stare at us when they wake up and Isabella gets impatient with us and barks...(I have to admit she barks because we fall asleep in our recliners quite a bit and she wants to wake us up)...we are early risers at this house so if we can catch a nap to warm up before bed we do.... ;)

2ofus likes this.
  8. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Pieces of banana? Those pups are, shall we say, different in their tastes. You are well trained, almost as well trained as we are!

9. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

We had two cats that because of their finicky appetites wanted boiled white fish. My mother would prepare large quantities and store it away. The white fish, thank goodness was inexpensive, was always eaten first, if they were still hungry they ate regular dry food. Another cat ate only one brand of cat food in a particular dish for his entire life. Today, 60 years later, the family still calls those dishes cat dishes.

Jerry

10. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Every dog we have owned has enjoyed a few pieces of banana before bed, they all love it. They also love pieces of carrots....if I am putting carrots and potatoes in a roast the dogs line up right next to me to be sure they get a piece of carrot...

11. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Sherry our dog loves banana too although it's not often he gets it. He will eat carrots as long as they are boiled but won't touch raw ones. :headscratch:

12. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

We have two sets of hens. The older ones (6 years old) won't touch carrots in any form. The younger ones (3 years old) eat cooked carrots. Not one of our hens will eat Iceberg lettuce, but they love the home-grown leaf lettuce.
    At this stage of my life, I'm catering to chickens :smt120.

13. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Mike has our dog hooked on Liquorish! One small taste twice a day...and she can count also!