Our Club's Harvest Display 2010

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Sjoerd, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Saturday was a very long day, it rained the entire day and I had a number extra things to do....ahhhhhh, but today I am taking it easy and just relaxing and sort of thrown myself over the chair in the living room with a hot cuppa tea and a gardening magazine. The cable radio is on and they are discussing M.C. Escher, one of my very favourite Dutch artists.
    I think that it is fair to say that Mr. Escher is seen as "obscure" outside our country, however if you learn about him and take the time to find and enlarge his prints on his website, I think that you will see that his work is unique and hard to believe, in the sense that several of his prints were done as wood-block cuttings!
    Here is a link to his "official website" :

http://www.mcescher.nl/indexuk.htm

My favourite is a lithograph from 1961--it is the waterfall one--
    Pulling a book of his work out of the bookcase....leafing to the page. Have a look at this:
    [​IMG]

Some of his prints require one to look at them for a while to see the impossibility of them This one shows water running uphill, but falling down at the same time. Can you see it?
    Ach, but I am waffling now.

Inside it's cozy and warmish, but outside the weather is positively Biblical...in a sort of a forty days and forty nights sense, if you recall the story. Bbbbbbbbbh. Shuttering a little as I look out at the horizontal rain.
    The temps have dropped rapidly and there is flooding in several places in Holland.

I lift my glass tea cup to take another sip and scrunch down into the soft chair a bit, folding my legs under me and pulling the end of my house coat over my bare knees. The air in the house is chilled...and I clasp my tea beker with both hands to warm myself.
    I am thinking..."Its waaaay too early in the year to turn on the central heating, but these are unusual times".

The wind dies down a bit and comes back...the rain slackens and then again falls more forcefully. What weather! It is the kind of weather that makes you feel so good to be inside and dry.

The program about M.C. Escher has ended and there is some unimposing Classical stuff soothing my ears. I have moved to the paper now and as I rustle the pages, I hear that something else is 'rustling'--my stomach.

Tea and a soft chair is alright, but a body needs nourishment as well, eh? Nodding up and down and looking at you for confirmation....

After brekkie, I bathe, brush the teeth and return to my chair in the living room...flouncing down with a big, "AAHHHH"!
    Picking up the newspaper again, I stare out at the teenage bicyclists bent forward straining against the wind moving ahead with difficulty. You would never know it was hard work, the way they were yelling, laughing and joking so loudly.

I folded my paper and thought back to the day before with a smile. I had to get up early yesterday because it was the annual "Harvest Show" at the allotment complex. Perhaps you remember past ones that I have mentioned. The members bring and display things from their plots. Normally one brings and sets up their display on friday afternoon, but unlike the majority of the participants, I work and could not make it there in time, so I had to get up early and go out there and set-up before the show began.
    The show runs for two days (sat. and sun.) and today is the second day. Today the exhibitions have to be dismantled and removed today.
    Glancing outside, I see that there is a break in the weather and I can see blue through the quickly-moving clouds. It is dry now, but I see what we call, "a ship with sour apples" coming over the horizon. (This means huge, dark slate-coloured ...almost black clouds coming, which almost certainly contain rain, and lots of it).

I had better get out to the clubhouse then....

Just like the day before, there were folks when I arrived. it was after 12 noon, and only two folks were there.

As I hung up the dripping wet raincoat Ati asked if I wanted something to drink, I thanked her and asked for tea.
    Old Dirk called-out, "I reckon that you want something to eat as well, eh? Well, you're too late, boy--the plum pie is all finished".

I sort of folded my mouth and raised an eyebrow and said, "You no doubt had two pieces for yourself, right"?
    "Ja, because I knew you would be coming and if I didn't eat it, you would and Ati might give you a larger piece than me". We all laughed.

Ati said that we had a pretty good show in spite of waning interest and the peculiar weather this season. There wasn't alot to harvest at this particular time...it accounts for the majority of flower displays this year.

A couple of overview shots to begin with:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

...and some of the individual displays:
    This one was made by my gardening neighbour, Willem--quite a character.
    [​IMG]

When Willem came in later on...he told how he had gone to a second-hand store here and bought up all the tiny stuffed animals that he used in his display, and we all speculated what the people in the store thought about a 74 year old man buying a bagful of small stuffed animals. hahaha. You see the humour?
    Oh, oh, oh... my sides ached from the laughter.
    He always has a 'theme'. This year it was the Food Bank....the food bank for the animals--mice, rabbits, crows etc., that "share" our harvests with us. :-?

A mixed harvest basket from one of the organizers.
    [​IMG]

Some flower arrangements. If you look closely, you can see Milkweed posa, callere the "Parakeet Plant" because of the shapew of the pods. I had to blink and look twice. I couldn't believe what I saw. Milkweed is not native to this country, so this lady's plant is a unicum here.
    [​IMG]

An interesting arrangement with an additional case with a poem. Different.
    [​IMG]

Dirk didn't actually have anything, he said...but brought a huge rhubarb leaf in for consideration. Actually I found it sort of interesting...and decorative.
    [​IMG]

Another well-made display from Gerard, the chap that does the asparagus so professionally.
    [​IMG]

More individual efforts:
    [​IMG]

Anyone know the names of this lovely plant that was used in this display? They said that it grew on a vine but the blooms look like mini-Crocosmias.
    [​IMG]

This yellow vase-full of flowers really was bright to see "in person".
    [​IMG]

Well, you have seen the good stuff, now I am going to promote myself.
    I begin simply...with the one and only onion string that I could make this year. Remember all my "white onions" fell prey to the "white rot"?
    [​IMG]

Then if you take a step backwards you can see the whole she-bang.
    [​IMG]

Did you notice that garden apron that Dooley made. Yep, I showed that as well, and there was enormous interest among the lady-gardners especially.
    They wanted to know where it came from and what we used it for and how it worked.

The potato display drew some interest from those present, as this country sees potatos as a staple food and there are some really knowlegable potato growers here.
    [​IMG]

A close up of the specimens with a bit of info about the race of each spud type:
    First, the Charlotte.
    [​IMG]

Then the Koopmans Blauwe
    [​IMG]

Then the Linzer Delicatess
    [​IMG]

....and finally the Rozeval
    [​IMG]

The last foto of the series is Rose's cat basket commandeered to display some of the remaining veg, fruit and jam pots. There were four types of courgettes, four sorts of jam and two beetroot types among other things.
    [​IMG]

The time was coming when the displays were to ber dismantled and removed. Quite a little crowd--maybe 13-15 folks, had gathered by now andf we were all talking loudly and drinking coffee and tea, one cup after the other...making us all a bit more wired with every sip. The windows had now steamed and it was waqrm inside.

The conversations ranged from politics to gardening, to medical probles to allotment theft...and a whole bunch of other topics, but as I said, the time was upon us...in fact it was an hour over the closing time altrady, and people were ready to go home.
    The rain began to fall yet again as we packed our stuff up. Some folks did not return in time. Who could blame them in this weather.

I pulled my red rainsuit on and packed all the veg into the panniers. I pushed the bike off, heading home...the wind in my back.

Pacnorwest likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

All I can say is "WOW!" Your club members not only have green thumbs, but they have a great artistic sense, also.
    Love your onion string. Ours got washed out this spring and I've been eating store onions all summer. Next year, however, I'll have onions, by golly (but probably not as gorgeous as yours)!

Pacnorwest likes this.
  4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

What a wonderful harvest display you all had.
    I like Dirk's Rhubarb leaf, it does make a very interesting display. Nice to hear that Dooley's apron is an international hit.

That unknown plant is Ipomoea lobata - Spanish Flag, Firecracker Vine. I have some seeds but forgot to plant them this year.

M C. Escher is very well known over here Sjoerd. We have a book of his prints, they are fascinating and easy to get yourself confused while trying to follow them.

Pacnorwest likes this.
  5. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

So much work and devotion is evident here Sjoerd. Does it always take place in August? I very much enjoyed this post, and your displays look brilliant. Well done.

Pacnorwest likes this.

Advertisement
  6. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

A lovely show Sjoerd. Love the flowers, always wish I grew more on the plot, every year, big plans... :) Your red onions are stunning. We have white rot also, and it seems to affect the reds more than the whites. And your spuds are stunning. I am very envious indeed. :)
    A lovely show - our village show is in 2 weeks time, goodness knows if it doesn't stop raining, I won't have anything other than sludge to display!

p.s. Marks favourite artist is Escher. Makes my eyes go fuzzy!. :)

Pacnorwest likes this.
  7. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I've heard of Escher too Sjoerd and have seen some of his work in books. As EJ says they can make your eyes go a bit :smt119 and they play tricks on your mind but they are brilliant none the less. :-D

Despite the weather your clubhouse seems to have had a good turn out with their flower arrangememnts and veggies. The only onions that did well here were my spring onions - the rest were complete failures. :( Maybe I'll try red ones next year.
    I like Willem's sense of humour with all those little cuddly toys.

Wouldn't it be nice if folks on your allotment ordered aprons from Dooley? Just think we'd all know an International designer then wouldn't we?! :D

8. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

*holler for my husband* We love Escher. :D I had quite forgotten about him, but I was a huge fan when in my twenties a lifetime ago or so. :D

What a lovely show. My husband prefers Willum's display. I'm of course partial to the flowers, and the food displays made me hungry. :D

I think Dooley's apron made a perfect background for your exhibits. Now, if you're done with the taters, jam and veggies, just pass'em over please. They'll do nicely for lunch tomorrow. :D

By the way, that rhubarb leaf - I think it's actually a Gunnera leaf.

Pacnorwest likes this.
  9. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

what maarvelous displays of your club members' harvests sjoerd! the ingenuity was fabulous too! :D

your onion string is really beautiful. what variety were they?

and your potatoes are so lovely.

i remember M.C. Escher too, and have a book with his works in it. he is one of my very favorite artists, aand i was very influenced by his works during my pen and ink drawing period.

Pacnorwest likes this.
  10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thank you very much, MARLIN--I shall convey your comments to the participants...they will be proud.
    I'm glad you liked that little onion string, it was short, but quite heavy.
    I sure do wish you the best of luck next year with your onions.

Thank you very much, TONI--I shall convey your compliments as well. That rhubarb leaf of that Dirk brought in at the last minute, may well be a gunnera, as Droopy suggested. I shall go visit him when the weather improves.
    Yeah, I was very proud to display Dooley's apron. It was still a bit dirty from use, but it showed that it was used. One of the ladies there suggested that I hang it oddly like that, she said that folks could see the pockets better than if it hung straight up and down. She had a good point, even though it looks a bit odd spread-out like that.
    Thank you also for ID'ing that plant. I shall have to get back to the lady that grew it. She didn't even know the name of the plants.
    I am gobsmacked that Escher is known there! I would have never guessed...and that you have a book of his prints as well!! I am just astounded.

Thank you FRANK--Yes, it is always late in August, although I heard complaints that some folks wanted it earlier so that they would have more to show.

Thanks EJ-- I'm telling you, if I couldn't grow flowers on my plot, I wouldn't garden there. I really like them too.
    Yeah, that white rot devistated my onions sommink terrible. These red ones were all that I had of a big bed of reds and whites. I had no white ones survive at all.
    I am tickled pink that you liked the spuds. I only showed the smallish ones because they looked chic and stylish to me...but the most of them were big bonkers that filled my hand totally.
    I know your village show is soon, and I always wait for it. You guys always win prizes and your displays always look so good.
    Another surprize: that Mark likes Escher! Who'da thought that the man was known over there.

Incredible EILEEN--that you guys know Escher. Just amazing.
    Yes, there was a reasonable turn-out. I was pleased.
    Willem does indeed have a good sense of humour. I like that.
    It would indeed be something is folks here ordered aprons.

Yet another Escher fan! He was one of the very few artists that could experience his fame BEFORE he died.
    Come on now DROOPY-- "a lifetime ago", who're you kiddin'!
    Glad you liked the show.
    Sure, I'll just pass the display over to you. You'll need a apron like Dooley makes to carry it all, though. hahaha. ;)

You may well be right about that leaf of Dirk's. I heard him tell Ati that it was a kind of rhubarb and never really thought about it.
    I know that it has red veins, but there is a sort of gunnera that does too. Yup, I think that you have seen it good. At any rate, I shall try and visit him soon and have a look. I wasn't aware that he had a gunnera plant on his lottie.
    It's the leaf edges that come to my attention.

Pacnorwest likes this.
  11. gfreiherr

gfreiherr Young Pine

What lovely displays of flowers and produce. I like how you presented your harvest in the basket. What a fun way to celebrate.

Pacnorwest likes this.
  12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thank you Gail--for your nice comments concerning the display.
    It was a lot of fun, as you said. It is always fun when people get together out at the allotments. I really do like the social aspect of community gardening.

Pacnorwest likes this.
  13. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

Sjoerd what a wonderful experience and story to share. I appreciate all the details and description of various aspects of each individual. And how fun to see all the displays of homegrown veggies, flowers, flower arrangements and jelly’s. Many more displayed so cleverly and beautifully exhibited. Thank you for the reality trip thru your part of the world. I really enjoyed seeing all the entries. Reading all the Stewbies responses to your comments and exhibitions was priceless.

You did a great job with arranging all the entries for the competition and judging. Were you a judge on any of the entry sections or divisions? Or was it a completion? I assumed it is what was described showing all the exhibitors in your area.

Usually when fairs are held in individual counties in Oregon the winning exhibitors are given ribbons and are placed with each winning entry. First place, second, third and everyone gets a participation ribbon. Then once all the divisions are judged , then all the judges come to an agreement on which display in the whole competition is the ‘Best in Show.’ And that winner gets a huge rose designed ribbon to add to their winning entry. It’s all in good fun a lot of info to learn.

The very same show strategy for the fairs in each county in the state is done as described above . Then the ‘State Fair’ competition for all the counties in the entire state in competition is in One Big Show. This is where all the winners are to exhibit their best in each category and in each division in a huge state fair. Over 200 divisions and hundreds of entries included in the entire state of Oregon. It’s a huge production and takes hundreds of volunteers and judges to itemize every entry and check all the proper placements for each category in each division. There are also many nurseries that set up temporary gardens and ponds in competition against each other winning ribbons in a large 15’x15’ in each entry section . The nurseries get to show off their skills and new hybrids.

One last note. I luv Esher. Since a child I have tried to mimic his complicated drawings, could stare at them until my eyes crossed. I have all his books with all his sketches and prints, even have a treasured calendar 16”x 16” prints of his art for each of the 12 months. He is a very popular artist, no one like him since.

14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Glad you liked this posting. I did a few more of these on here. It was a little different each year.

I was not a judge on the day— it was not a contest and so no awards were given. Every participant did get a simple little gift for participating. What I liked was that everyone took the expo seriously, just as if it were a competition.

I am aware of how the fairs go over there, and our little gardening club affair was nothing like that. We are only a small club and competitions with lottie veg is not done over here.

I am genuinely surprised that you have heard of Escher. Of course everyone here knows of him and his unique art. The Bride and I went to his museum in Den Haag once and got to see many of the original lithos and so forth that are featured in books about him. I wrote about the trip on here:

https://www.gardenstew.com/threads/perception.36697/#post-333694

Meid, thanks again for taking the time to look at and comment on the Harvest Display thread.

Jewell and Pacnorwest like this.