Our enemy-the decks!

Discussion in 'Home Improvement, DIY and Repair' started by Tooty2shoes, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Well we finally bit the bullet and decided to stain and seal our decks. Yes plural decks. I have no idea what the people where thinking when they build these two decks. But it certainly wasn't with the thought in mind that they LOVED having to seal the decks almost every year, or maybe they did. :eek:
    We got a belt sander and took of the dead wood so to speak. Then on our--hands and knees we took a palm sander and did around all the posts. As I was sitting on my butt doing this I was muttering under my breath--that if my hubby would have agreed to replace some of the boards over the last 5 years with the fake wood. WE-I would have to be working my fingers to the bone.
    Today was the day we would stain and seal the upper deck floor. It took a gallon of stain & sealer to do just that area. We now have the railings on that deck to do.
    Then it's on to the lower deck. I can't wait!
    I think I'm going to get something so I have to stay indoors until the job is done. But alas. Unless I'm out there my honey will not get it done my himself. Poor dear. :-? These photo's are of the before....will post some after ones. Unless I start the deck on fire.

[​IMG]
    Upper deck. ( photo / image / picture from Tooty2shoes's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Upper deck with steps to lower deck. ( photo / image / picture from Tooty2shoes's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Lower deck with more steps. ( photo / image / picture from Tooty2shoes's Garden )
    What where those people thinking?

:eek:

2. Loading...

3. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I just don't know what they were thinking but I am thinking that is beautiful. I absolutely love it....

What are you using on the wood to make you have to do it every year?????

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Gee that's one BIG job Tooty!!! :smt103 I have a feeling you're both going to have quite a few aching muscles after tackling that lot.
    I'll keep a watch out for smoke coming from your direction. ;)

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Well, the decks give you a lovely view of your yard, and I suppose they are a great place to sit and enjoy a summer evening. So often people fall in love with an idea and don't consider what that "idea" entails.
    I wish I could get my hands on the previous owners of this house. Stupidity seems to endemic to folks who build decks!

Tooty2shoes likes this.

Advertisement
  6. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

It does give you a lovely view of the back area... but man on man... is that alot of work! Hope whatever you applied this year will last and last.

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  7. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

What a huge job! I would definitely replace with artificial wood...except it is kind of expensive especially for two large decks! I would be thinking of keeping the upper deck, take out the stairs and second deck and have an elevator instead. Did I tell you I love to dream big? Fortunately dreams are free. :D

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  8. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Waretrop thank you. We had used Thompson's seal-never again. The decks face east and get a lot of sun which makes the care and up keep more necessary. :-x On the upper deck we are using an oil based product called--Sikkens. Mineral spirits clean up. YUCK!
    On the lower deck we are using NWP Stain and sealer. It says it's oil fortified but is soap and water clean up. Yippy! I will post pic's and more info as we progress.

Eileen see the smoke yet? After yesterday when we started sealing the upper deck and I stayed out in the sun to long and had to go in and sit in front of a fan and drink cold water after feeling like I was going to loose my cookies. :eek:

Marlingardenr it would be a nice place to sit and enjoy the view if it wasn't for the wasps that like to gather on that side of the house. I HATE WASPS! Yes you are right about peoples granddious ideas. I would love to have them come over and stain them! The lower deck used to be bigger. :eek: They had an above ground pool with the deck wrapping around three sides. :eek: We got rid of the pool as it was a insurance liability. Then downsized the lower deck. Should have removed it all together and had the stairs coming from the upper deck meet a small platform and then stairs down into the yard from their. Oh Well. Off with their heads! ;)

Cherylad thank you. We do have a grand view from the upper deck. We are using two different products so we will see which last longer.

2ofus- yes it is. I wanted to do the artificial wood for the last 6 years. But hubby says to expensive. I said ok-so how much did we spend on the belt sander 80.00 including sand paper, buying a new palm sander 30.00, buying 2 gallons of Stain and sealer 92.00, another 5 gal of stain and sealer we found at Menards on sale-70.00 and all our time. Im sure that would have bought a few boards that we could have replaced the old wood ones. I have often thought of removing the lower deck. But until now it was only a thought. I may put some action to that thought after all this work. Plus we NEVER sit on the lower deck or the upper deck. Go figure. Suckers for punishment I guess. :rolleyes:

9. Henry Johnson

Henry Johnson In Flower

Patti, here is an idea you might consider; a local 'handy-man' of even a general contractor hired to do the job for you...
    You would need to first calculate your cost factor (including your own labor) so you would know if their bid was within your budget range..
    Just something to consider, though you probably already have..
    Hank

10. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Thank you Hank. I would have done so. But my hubby would rather save the money and have us suffer through the process. Boy it would be great for a bad storm to take the lower deck down. Just that and nothing else. Kind of like Calgon-take me away. :rolleyes:

11. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Next time you have to sand it, try Benjamin Moore Arbor Coat or Cabot's Timber Oil or Sikkens or Penn-o-fin for the finish.

Your Thompson's is actually burning off in the sun.

12. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Barb you are so right about the sun burning off the finish.

13. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

When is the PARTY? with such a large decks you could fit all of us there....Beautiful...I would love the area

14. Pianolady

Pianolady In Flower

We've gone to using Cabot's and not sealing. Not sure if it's the "right" way, but we don't have to sand off any sealant this way. We just wash and stain. Your decks are lovely.

15. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

The decks are just gorgeous! The work...not so much. :(