Out and About and Around the House

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Sjoerd, Apr 28, 2019.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

We slipped away for a few days and went up into Northern Friesland. We took my old bee mentor and his wife along. We arranged a stop or two along the way to break-up the ride and to stretch the legs. One place was at a large dike in the north. There was a centre that told about the dike's construction and as well as nature and the dike's relation to it. In the building, one is lead around to various points where they can play with interactive points of interest. Walking down one hallway, one walks under this mobile of birds and a movement sensor picks up your presence and the birds move and the sound of godwits plays from hidden speakers.
    zzz9ab.jpg

Here is my Bijenvader (mentor) checking out a short vid about the dike's construction.
    zzz9ab1.jpg

We also took a "Tulip Tour" whilst away. We drove some 93 Km in a large loop to see the colourful fields of tulips. Here is just one pic with fields, dike and windmills.
    zzz9a.jpg

As for the "in and around the house"--I have these foto's:
    The first foto shows our apt building with some of the variety of water birds on the small harbour.
    zzz2.jpg

There are birds like cormarants, coots, greebs, yellow eyes, blue herons and mallards present...along with this unwelcome guest:
    zzz9abc.jpg

It looks like a painted turtle that someone turned loose in the inner harbour some years ago now. It does not belong here, but seems to get enough to eat. The beast just keeps getting larger and larger.

Finally, looking northwards--a little look-through in-between the buildings across from us into a different harbour. Who says we don't have mountains here !!

this mountain could rival Mt. Denali...it could rival the K2...it could rival the Alps...it could perhaps even rival Mt. Everest....It could rival any or all of these mountains if only it were a mountain--actually it is just a big cloud.
    zzz2a.jpg

2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

What a lovely trip, and so interesting both to you and your companions, and to us here on the forum! Thank you for taking us along.
    Love the waterfowl, and I have to admit for a fondness for turtles. We have red eared sliders and snapping turtles in our pond. I love seeing them line up on the bank to sun!
    Nice mountain, even if it disappeared! Here there is a tree line in the distance across several fields, and in the morning before the sun lights it, it does slightly resemble a mountain range. My husband's niece (who isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer) looked out my kitchen window and said, "Oh, you have a view of the mountains!" I explained what it was and that we didn't have mountains in central Texas, and she replied, "Oh, no, not the trees on your fence line, those mountains off in the distance." I'm so glad she isn't a blood relative of mine . . . .

Odif, Jewell, Cayuga Morning and 2 others like this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

:D:crying:
    OMG Jane...will the tears ever stop! We just keep laughing---sides hurting and the eyes filled with tears...Oh my word.
    You do have a way with words and situations.

marlingardener likes this.
  5. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

WOW...some beautiful photos...I love the mobile of birds...

Advertisement
  6. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Thanks for the tour SJ! I would have been interested in the dike & the center that tells the construction & history of the dike.
    And oh my goodness, those fields of tulips!!
    Looks like an interesting tour.

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks so much Sherry and Cayu. It was a great tour. The field colours were splendid and of course the little dike centre was interesting as well. I am so delighted that you liked the foto's.

8. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

Sjoerd only just clocked this post and I always love to see the places you've gone but this pic looks a totally stunning site :heart:

Sjoerd likes this.
  9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hiya Gail---Good to seeya. Thanks for your very nice words. We sure do have a nice landscape here don't we.

Gail-Steman likes this.
  10. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

Sjoerd all I can say of what photo's you've shown us...it's a beautiful place where you are [​IMG]

Sjoerd likes this.