Over winter Bougainvillea?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Kay, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

I grew a pretty variegated bougainvillea in a pot this summer. It’s looking like some frosty temps coming up and I’m wondering...
    Is it worth bringing indoors to try to overwinter? I could put it in a sunny room.
    Think I’d have any luck?

2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Kay, when in town we had a variegated bougainvillea in a large pot. We'd bring it in to the parlor for the winter in front of a south facing window. We kept it for years.
    Give it a try--if you don't bring it in, you will definitely lose it. If you do bring it in, you may have a bigger and better bougainvillea next summer!

Kay likes this.
  4. Kay

Thanks MG- I put it my new:D garden shed for the night. I’ll clean it up and get it in. You gave me inspiration!

Sherry8 likes this.
  5. Kay

So- just tp follow up MG- I brought it in. Now it is losing leaves pretty steadily. Do I let it go dormant, and stop watering? Should I prune it?
    I am in zone 5, so we are going into a cold winter... Thanks for thoughts

Advertisement
  6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Kay, it was several years ago that I overwintered my bougainvillea, so I forgot to mention the leaf drop. Don't worry about that--as long as the stems are flexible and greenish, the plant is fine. You'll notice new leaves forming after the plant adjusts to being inside.
    If your plant fits in the space you have for it, there is no need to prune. Water as usual, and don't get the plant too near a window (cold glass+leaves=burn.)
    You'll notice I refer to "the plant" since I have to check the spelling of "the plant" all the time. From now on, I'm referring to it as "Bogey".;)

Kay likes this.
  7. Kay

Oh Thank you for more reassurance! :headbang: I will know this plant as Bogey now, and hope he can make it through the winter. Being where I live, they aren’t common at all. I was surprised to see that they have thorns!!
    This will be a challenge for me. Plant room is stuffed full, I had to give a few plants away, and even let some go... to the great compost in the sky. *sigh*
    Always good to keep gardening indoors during the long winter months.
    Thanks again!