Paint colors - Basement - Man Cave

Discussion in 'Choosing Colors' started by devans175, Sep 15, 2009.

1. devans175

devans175 New Seed

I'm remodeling my basement, man cave style, and I was looking for some help with selecting paint colors. I attached a floorplan. The basement is rather large. The ceilings are mostly 7.5', but there are some bulkeads that take away from the height. I was going to go with white ceilings. The bar will be a natural oak color, similar to the pook table. I'd like to tie in my favorite sports team's color, but that's dark purple and I'm a little affraid of dark purple in a basement. Other than the Baltimore Ravens, the theme will include "junk" that I've collected throughout my travels. There are some windows, but thay are all the small about 16" x 24".

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

The floor plans weren't there :(
    One wall painted in your teams colors shouldn't overpower the entire room, maybe the wall behind the bar. I am guessing that you have photos, pennants, etc to hang too, those items would cover up some of the purple and keep it from being too much.

4. devans175

devans175 New Seed

Sorry, I didn't upload the pic correctly. I just did it again. The wall behind the bar is like 60 feet long.. but I get your point about a smaller "accent wall" what about a light color that would go well with the dark purple for the rest of the walls?

[​IMG]
    Floorplan ( photo / image / picture from devans175's Garden )

5. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

Very impressive 'man cave'. Your team color is purple and white. Correct? I might paint the end walls purple or the 60' wall purple. But I think painting 3 walls purple would definelty close the room in. Hope this helps. Have fun in your 'cave'. :p :D

Advertisement
  6. Bluewolf

Bluewolf Seedling

if it were me
    even tho I am not a fan of purple

I would paint the two end walls with your team colors
    (are you going to paint your mascot?)

Then paint the long wall white and hang your penants and what-not on it to "lower the volume"
    of the white

and then your other walls? well.... not sure

7. devans175

devans175 New Seed

OK. I think I will go with Purple and white. I'm not talented enough to do a mascot, but it's not out of the question down the road. Thanks for the suggestions!

8. Bluewolf

Bluewolf Seedling

You're kidding right?

Theres all kinds of stuff advertised on tv and the net if you looked in the right places you could probably find a template to be able to do it
    Weather it be a stencil or one of those big "patterns" where you have to trace it on first
    your friends would think that was so kewl ;)

and I had a thought as far as the walls on the opposite side of the bar you could inter mix them between your purple and white (making sure the larger sections are the white so not to be to dark)

and maybe hand painting some pennants and what not on the white walls?

9. schoolofinteriordesign

schoolofinteriordesign New Seed

First off, by no means can purple walls look fine in a man cave. Purple just scream posh and royalty, and adding to the fact that you also chose junk as part of your overall theme, I can't see a great interior design coming out from that. However, if you feel that you have to include shades of purple in your room, then I suggest you keep it to a minimum like the purple in the alternative white jersey of the Raven. Aside from that, this is a very spacious and comfortable man cave you got here.

moderator's note: removed website link, see point 1.1 of usage rules