Parents Worst Nightmare

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Islandlife, Jul 16, 2016.

1. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Was just watching the local evening news re: events in Nice, France. Apparently we have 80 of our young teenage students there on a summer trip who were within meters of the tragic truck incident and witnessed it all.

Trip is being cut short, counselors being set up to provide de-briefing to the kids and to deal with anything emerging.

What a tragic experience for these young teens to experience. Will stick with them for all their lives.

Can't begin to imagine the feelings of the parents here seeing it all, witnessing this on TV as it unfolds knowing your child is there. Absolutely tragically awful all round.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Oh my goodness! I can just imagine the parents feelings when they heard the news!
    Tragic isn't a strong enough word for what has happened.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  4. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

I lost words a long time to describe what is going on in this world.

My own grandkids are little and until I heard it on the TV News I had no idea our little City had a group of 80 students touring Europe. Tragic they were part of the carnage. Can't imagine what the parents are or were feeling as this unfolded.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Two of the dead are a father and his 11 year old son from Austin, Texas. The family was on whirlwind tour to celebrate the birthdays of the Mom and one of their daughters.

Philip Nulty and Islandlife like this.

Advertisement
  6. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

@toni - I saw that on the International TV News too. Awful and 'awful' doesn't even begin to describe how all this really makes me feel.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  7. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

There's always been 'crazy's' in the world but this is horrible!

Philip Nulty and kate like this.
  8. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Talked to my oldest daughter this afternoon and found out that the dad and his son from Austin had been living up in our area until pretty recently and she knew them from the Children's Theater she and her son are involved with. She said the kids and directors are very upset and at every play put on the rest of the year will have a remembrance of them before the play begins.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  9. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

@toni - All 'round it is so really tragic and sad. Really terrible when anybody has to cope with tragedies like this particularly young people. One incident has such far reaching and long last repercussions. Such needless and senseless acts and doubly triply worse when young people are involved.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  10. kate

kate In Flower

The kiddies came of as bad, he rode all over them, they are dead most of them.
    In the Huffington Post news a child in hospital has no visitors so they have to presume child is orphaned like some others.
    They say that its all in the name of Islam, no its not. Neither Allah or the good Lord would not condone such terrible crimes. Neither do any terrorist become martyrs.
    There is no place for such murdering cowards in our society.:smt091:smt092
    K

Philip Nulty, 2ofus and Tooty2shoes like this.
  11. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Kate I fully agree with you. This world seems to have gone crazy. Here in the US we are dealing with people killing our police. It is so sad. My prayers are with them all.

Philip Nulty and kate like this.
  12. kate

kate In Flower

I follow your news too and the gun crime in America is shocking and no one seems to learn from it. I believe 911 has taught the people nothing about caring for each other, not killing.
    Here in London a water fight turned nasty when people got stabbed...aweful behaviour Tooty!

Philip Nulty and Tooty2shoes like this.
  13. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

When I was a child if a teacher said I did something wrong (even if I didn't) my parents would have fully believed the teacher. If a policeman had of told my parents I did something I wouldn't be here typing this now! I don't know when the world changed so that professional people are no longer believed or valued. I get it there are always some bad eggs but now it seems ALL police are targeted. They are not valued as a profession.

It is all sad and causing so much grief all 'round. No idea when or where it will all stop.

14. kate

kate In Flower

My parents were strict, bed at seven no matter how we pleaded. Dad was quiet till roused, if he removed his belt, or even made the attempt we shut up rapid. It took a lot to get him going though.
    I believe 911 changed people, then along came ISIS. They started teaching kids and others very bad ways.
    Lee Rigby was a case in point; he came home from Afghanistan and murdered by a loon on English soil. He left a young wife and baby son.
    Another English man went to help and take food to Syria, they beheaded him.
    Although I really hate to say I am so glad my family are in the cemetery, safe. I miss them like hell but nothing can harm them now.
    K

15. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

@kate - I can understand the feelings. I worry about my Grandkids and the world they are going to inherit.

When I was a kid I left the house in the morning and covered a wide territory by myself just playing and being a kid. Now my grandkids get no personal freedom and are not allowed to even leave the yard alone "in case" something happens.

The world has changed and really not for the better.

kate and Philip Nulty like this.
  16. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

So true Kate and Islandlife. We to as kids knew our boundaries and what was permitted and what was not. We would tell my mom that we where going down to the end to play. The end was a small play ground that backed up to the cemetery at the end of the street we lived on. She never had to worry about anyone doing anything to us kids. We also loved to play under the huge fir trees that grew in the cemetery. We always respected the graves and loved to look at all the neat carved stone statues that adorned a lot of the graves. There where angels, trees, soldiers, ect.
    We would even take cardboard boxes down my the railroad tracks that ran behind the cemetery and slid down the steep sloops. Like sledding in the winter, only on long grassy areas.
    We could almost go anywhere in our town of 32,000 with little or no concerns for danger. Like you said, now our grandkids have to be warned to say close to home, and be aware of stranger danger. I saw an article from a mother who went into their toilet room and there her 4yr old daughter was standing on the toilet seat. She asked her what she was doing and she said that she was practicing hiding from a shooter. They where being taught that at their school. How sad to think a 4yr old child would have to be concerned about someday hiding from a shooter in their school.

kate and Philip Nulty like this.