Part 2 of our multiple step kitchen re-do has been completed

Discussion in 'Home Improvement, DIY and Repair' started by toni, Jul 4, 2010.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I have wanted to paint the counter-tops and put in a new sink for quite a while. But over the years I could never find a paint made for kitchen counters and the local DIY stores had the single stainless steel sinks that we couldn't afford or quit carrying them and didn't have a supplier to order them from. But last month the two main hold backs were overcome....finally.

We found the sink at an affordable price, the high rise faucet at a good price and paint made specifically for counter-tops.

Randy had already taken out the old sink before I remembered to take a 'before' photo.

[​IMG]
    After taking out the old sink and bottom row of metal tiles ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

The new color isn't really as red as it looks, more like a brown-ish red. It is supposed to get darker as it cures. We could put the sink in now but can't use the counter-top until about Tuesday just to be sure it is completely dry.

[​IMG]
    Painted with sink and faucet installed ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

We have found the backsplash I want, will get that next weekend, paint, seal and install it. Then the tiles come off to be replaced by natural color wood bead-board. I am also going to paint the cabinets a lighter color than the bead-board.
    There is also a small counter area on the other side of the stove that I need to paint the top of. But that will be next weekend.

The old sink will be turned into a planter. Randy is going to build a box for it and I am going to cover the box with all the old copper tiles we remove from the wall.

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I really like the new colour of the counter top Toni and the plans you have for the rest of the kitchen. Before you know the whole room will be done and you can stand back and sa: "We did that!!" It'll certainly be something to be proud of. Do let us see the changes as you make them.

4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

It is looking very nice, Toni. Actually it has some of the same elements that I have in mine.

I am interested in seeing it develop over the coming weeks.
    Congrats.

5. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

I like the dark red Toni. And glad to hear that you are repurposing the old sink.

Advertisement
  6. Biita

Biita Arctic-ally Challenged Forager

That is going to look amazing when all finished. I like that you are recycling as you go along,,,thumbs up for you both! I do like the colors and plans with wood you are going to go with, it will make your kitchen feel very comfortable and homey.

7. toni

Thanks all. The kitchen has needed a make over since we bought the house, but we just never had the money or the time. Everything in there is original to the house...copper colored tiles on the wall were very popular in 1967.

I wasn't sure about that color for a couple of days. After the first two coats it was almost a christmasy red and I was making plans to get another can of paint but have them add more black pigment to darken it. I am really liking it now and since that is the largest counter-top area in there, the color won't overpower the room.

I had not originally planned on painting the cabinets but with the counters that intense I can not leave them white, just too stark a contrast. A cream color leaning towards the brown side instead of the yellow side was my plan then and I remembered that the DIY place can match paint color to anything you bring in so they can match the color of the wood bead-board and it will be perfect.

8. Plumbing And Lighting

Plumbing And Lighting Seedling

sinks looks nice and shiny

9. wannab3gardener

wannab3gardener New Seed

you did a great job with the reform of your new kitchen. thanks for sharing it with us.

10. toni

Thanks you two. It was supposed to be finished last weekend but life got in the way but we did get the other countertop and the backspash pieces painted.
    This coming weekend we will get more done!!!! ;)

11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

heh heh heh.... :snicker: I know JUST how that goes.
    Good luck, Toni--and do show some update pics if you get a chance to take some, OK?

12. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Looking great toni.

13. toni

Part 2 has been completed. The bead board panels will darken with age and hopefully not stand out so light compared to the bead board that has been up for a few years.

[​IMG]
    Backsplash and beadboard installed ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

Part 3 will be Randy building a cabinet to hold a dishwasher. I haven't had one in about 5 years and am ready to have another one.

Part 4 will wait a while since I haven't completely decided what to do about the wall behind the stove.

Part 5, unless I get more motivated, will be to paint the cabinets to almost match the beadboard.

14. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

Hey Toni, It looks really nice. You are a handy-dandy gal! :)
    What is the paint called that is made for countertops? I have an ugly circa 1966 bathroom countertop that could use a facelift!

15. toni

Thanks Kay, but I mostly had the idea and Randy did the manual labor...I like the way that works out ;)

The paint is Rust-oleum Countertop Coating. The website lists 16 different colors but the can we bought has 10 totally different colors. I used the Terra Cotta color which isn't on the website.

16. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

That looks bright and cheery, Toni. You guys do great work.