Passion flower vine with old spider mite issues?

Discussion in 'Houseplants' started by Jason Denzel, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Jason Denzel

Jason Denzel New Seed

Hi - Just bought another passion flower vine. My other one fell victim to spider mites. I threw it out and sprayed down the entire area plus 3 feet in every direction to disinfect the area. Verified no other plants were effected like my geranium. The spiders just did not like the geranium. must not have been something they can eat. I have not put the new plant in the same location yet. Its been 8 days since I disinfected the area. Is there anything else you guys would recommend I do before placing this plant in the same location?

Attached Files:

2. Loading...

3. mart

mart Strong Ash

Yes,, Spray the plant !! You disinfected but did not treat the problem ??

4. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I agree, I would spray this new plant preventatively. Every so often.

Good luck with this. Let us know if it works. I have had this problem with dracenas & their relatives. I have given up growing them, especially since I see red spider mites on shrubury in our yard. Feels like losing a fighting battle. They are so small they can climb through any window screen.

BTW do you see evidence of red spider mites on the shrubury in your yard? If so you might just try enjoying the plant at work. Or at a friend's house!

5. Jason Denzel

Jason Denzel New Seed

Sorry I should have included background in the original plant. I did spray the the old plant for a year with Central Coast Spider mite spray. It did not kill them. I tried wiping down the area including all the leaves. They came back. No evidence of mites in the yard. The person at the nursery said they must have been on the plant when they came from the grow house in Florida. I live at 10,000 feet in Colorado and spider mites can't live there from what I am told.

Sjoerd likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Oh! Good news then Jason! I might still spray the plant preventatively though. The spray might have been killing the mites but perhaps they were reproducing faster than you could keep up with.

7. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    The only solution I’ve ever found to work is a systematic that treats the soil and the plant becomes poisonous to the mites. With the appearance of super insects am uncertain as to the success rate now. I don’t use those types of chemicals anymore, but....

8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hello Jason. Could you provide close-up foto's of the presence of the mites? ...you know, showing the damage and their webbing.