Paulownia at my own discretion ???

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by calinromania, Jul 23, 2008.

1. calinromania

calinromania Young Pine

hello everyone... i am here to share something with you.

as i am a plant/flower freak, i realized that when i walk, i am always looking down... looking for something to catch my eyes. am i crazy? LOL

and one day, guess what i found! on a sidewalk right in the middle of my city ...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i took some home and planted them in yoghurt containers.

i just have one question. if i want to plant one or two outside in the country at my parents' home, do i have to keep them inside till they are bigger?

(considering the freezing temps. - will the little ones die in winter and come back in spring?)

I just want to know if it is safe to plant them outside when they are still too little... i don't want them to die to the ground in winter and come back next spring.

there are some huge paulownia trees in the city, so when they are big, they can withstand the low temps.

any info would help... better from your own exp.

thanks,
    calin

2. Loading...

3. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

Not sure about where you live, but here in this part of England it is recommended that one plants them out in Spring rather than autumn. Wish mine would produce seeds like that. However since we cut it to the ground every Feb/March and grow three stems for the elephant's ears leaves, it does not actually flower. 12 feet of growth a season done like that. Even my garden is not really up to a 70 foot tree!

4. trudy

trudy In Flower

I think I would keep it in a pot til it got bigger. A lady in town has one that is at least 40' an we've had temps as low as 18*, but those temps aren't common in this area but the tree survived fine.

5. calinromania

calinromania Young Pine

well, i'm just saying that there are like real big trees... saw them... purple flowers and then the seed pods... and stuff... so they should be able to live outside. but maybe it is a good idea to have it in a pot for the first winter/year or so.
    it would be a waste dying all down to the ground and never be able to see the flowers...
    anyway.... definitely too late to have it outside... the seedlings i found and took home are really small.

THANKS
    CALIN

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

It still amazes me what you can find growing in even a busy city environment Calin. I just wanted to say that I hope yuour Paulownia seedlings do well for you. :stew1:

7. calinromania

calinromania Young Pine

thanks eileen... yes... u r right... lots of things... in parks, on sidewalks, next to buildings...

u should also start looking down where you walk...

i hope this doesn't turn into an obsession and i will keep doing involuntarily !!!

LOL

8. gardengater

gardengater Young Pine

Good find Calin. I'm not sure what this plant looks like but purple flowers sound beautiful. I hope your seedlings survive and you can send us photos when they grow up and flower.
    Gardengater

9. calinromania

calinromania Young Pine

good wish, gardengater!

well, i also wish for that. but i am sure it will take a while... but even the leaves are impressive...they can get really huge!

and it looks like the tree itself is a fast grower!

we'll see!

Calin

10. muddybob

muddybob In Flower

We planted one five years ago and it just had its first blossom this year. I love these trees because the blooms appear before the leaves are out. We have a house with the first floor in the hillside and the second floor has full southern exposure so it gets quite hot. I needed a fast grower to get some shade. It will get there someday.
    With yours, should you put your pot outside but but still protect it from freezing?
    muddy

11. calinromania

calinromania Young Pine

i really have no idea... i have quite a few. i think i will try every way. in the house, outside directly in the ground, outside but still in a pot... i got many :D

but they are very small...