Peace lily advice, pot to plant size ratio

Discussion in 'Houseplants' started by Danjensen, Dec 4, 2009.

1. Danjensen

Danjensen In Flower

I have a peace lilly not sure of the latin name.

It is nice and big and I have managed not to kill it off yet ;)

Need some advice, it is now getting quiet big and I wondered how big the pot to plant size ratio should be?

If I repot the plant when should i do it? and should i trim the root ball back?

Some of the large leaves are wilting and I wondered if i can prune them off.

thanks for the help

OOh last question any secrets to keeping it flowering?
    thanks

moderator's note: added a more descriptive title to topic

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Ronni
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. nilbert
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    I love the peace lilies. Spathiphyllum wallisii and Spathiphyllum clevelandii seem to be two of the more popular varieties. They like regular moisture or will 'wilt'. They also like being pot bound. I would not prune the roots. I move them up one pot size when I have trouble maintaining enough moisture for the plant and they have a dense root mass when lifted from the pot. I always keep any unsightly leaves trimmed.

Mine have always gotten huge and I end up taking starts from around the base and giving the large plants away after they have outgrown their space in my small home. Currently I love my 'Domino' varigated spathiphyllum. The only problem I have ever had with peace lilies is they tend to get too large for my space ;) . Happy growing :stew1:

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Spathiphyllum is the Genus for about 40 different species of
    Peace Lily
    It would probably be good to find out which species you have, some can tolerate more bright light than others.

They usually only bloom in the spring, some varieties will bloom twice a year. Fertilize monthly with any standard houseplant food like 20-20-20 but a lighter dose or it could burn the root hairs. That might help it rebloom too.

5. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I found that they like to be a little bit root bound.
    When mine starts to look like it needs a drink I put it in the sink and just drench the daylights out of it! It takes what it needs and the leftover just runs out :p Mine seems to bloom a lot. About 2 weeks ago I had 9 big white blossoms on it. Don't ask me why. It sits in the living room window and is a very happy camper ;)

Advertisement
  6. Danjensen

Danjensen In Flower

Thanks Guys, I must have been lucky with mine as it has produced flowers 3-4 times this year.

Out of interest how to you take starts to plant in another pot. We have a big home and I would love to have more of these around the home.

7. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Divide the plant when you repot, then you will have several smaller plants to spread out thru the house.
    It will be a dirty job so outside next spring would probably be best.

8. Jewell

When I want a small start and want to give away the rest of the plant I will search around the base of the mother plant and search out small starts. I pick ones that are away from the main plants. Sometimes there will be several on an especially large plant (12" pot or bigger) older plant. Those I just gently tug and work with a fork until they are release from the soil. If you can't find these starts it is best to divide like Toni suggested.

I am looking at my smaller plant I bought last summer in its 6" pot and can't find any of the smaller easily removed plants. If I wanted starts from it I would divide. The best time to divide is after the winter equinox for us in the northern hemisphere. The lengthen days seem to stimulate plant growth. (That said - I also do it when the mood strikes, but I am more of an impulsive gardener)

When I repot I always use a good quality plant soil. The soil makes all the difference on how rapidly and well your plants will recover and grow. My house plants are usually divided and taken care of during the winter when I am in the house more. (unfortunately I tend to forget them in the summer when I am busy outside) I lay down a carpet of newspaper or use a painters dropcloth when tackling big plants. It helps contain the mess which I can then easily take outside and dump onto the flower beds to recycle/compost old potting soil and plant matter.

9. Jewell

Oh I forgot to mention to always repot into small pots. Peace lilies like to be pot bound and will actually grow faster and will be happier with the roots filling in a small pot than a larger pot with too much room.

10. Danjensen

Danjensen In Flower

great advice guys thanks.

i know these plants survive my watering regime or lack of it so can redistribute around the house.

thanks for the advice on the pots