Pelletized seeds that need light to germinate.

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by tkhooper, Sep 3, 2014.

1. tkhooper

tkhooper Seedling

Hi I'm experiencing a problem and I hope someone out there has the answer for me.

I adore lisianthus but the seeds are hard to germinate and it is hard to find as a plant here in central virginia. I have bought seeds in the past and had zero germination. The problem seems to be that because the seeds are so small the commercial growers pelletize them and then they can't get the light required to germinate. Can someone tell me how I can get the coating off of the seeds without killing it?

Thank you for all your help in advance.

2. Loading...

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Why do you want to get the coating off? It isn't anything that will hurt the germination. As soon as the water hits the coating it literally dissolves. Lisianthus take a long time to germinate and grow. Are you using bottom heat to get it to germinate or just letting it sit in cold/room temperature. You are using potting mix? Soil will not be a useful medium for germinating lisianthus. it harbors too much mold and bacteria to allow it to germinate before the seed coat is attacked by fungus in the soil. Starting the seeds in January is typical for a plant large enough to set out in June.

tkhooper likes this.
  4. tkhooper

tkhooper Seedling

The coating didn't dissolve. I was spraying almost misting the plant so it didn't get covered with soil by accident. So a soak overnight might fix the problem?

I started them in the house which is usually at 68 to 70 degrees during the winter spring time frame. Yes I use a potting mix, usually miracle grow.

I will definitely try starting them in January. I think these are just the prettiest flowers.

5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Misting the seed is a good practice, but after you mist them cover the tray with plastic with a few holes poked in for humidity and try a plant heat mat for germinating seeds. Menards usually sells them in the Spring for about 20.00 (which I still think is a ridiculous price) or go online and find one, but bottom heat is a must for many seeds. (not sweet peas or the like). Even tomatoes don't usually need the bottom heat but peppers? no way to germinate without the heat, you might get a few to sprout, but not usually many.

Advertisement
  6. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I don't know much about seeds but when I wanted some seeds to sprout many years ago, I put them in a damp (not dripping) paper towel and in a plastic sandwhich bag ...then I planted them in soil after they sprouted. I kept them in a warm area until they sprouted, I think on top of the refrigerator for a short time. wet the paper towel if it drys before they sprout. Maybe this would help you if you really want the coating off.

7. tkhooper

tkhooper Seedling

I'm so scared i'll mess up I want a miracle, lol.

8. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

TK, getting a large plant from a very small seed is always a miracle! Why not try both methods and see what works?
    Also, Walmart sells a heating pad, intended for aches and pains, for less than $20. Just be sure you don't get the one that shuts off automatically after two hours. It is intended to be a "safety feature" but it was obviously done by someone who doesn't garden. Aches and pains gone after two hours? HA! :sete_046:

Henry Johnson and tkhooper like this.
  9. tkhooper

tkhooper Seedling

I have one of those types of heating pads. It drives me crazy because by the time I get comfy it is cooling down. They don't understand about the cat and getting a drink, the snacks, finding the remote. I mean it all takes time.