Peony from my grandmother's garden

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by daisybeans, Apr 4, 2010.

1. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

In September I went to a family reunion in West Virginia. My aunt Dallas and uncle Leo live on the land that my grandparents owned and where they raised their 10 kids, including my father. My aunt has a lovely garden and some of the plants are descended from plants from my grandmother's garden. I loved my grandmother so, so much so I wanted something from her garden to put in mine. Dallas suggested a peony. Well, the harvesting of this plant was not easy -- it was on the side of a steep rocky hill, all wound up in the roots of a tree. What I got out looked pretty butchered up. Then the poor thing had to travel 7 hours in the trunk of the car. By the time I planted it in a pot the next day, well, let's just say it didn't look hopeful. Even worse, I read where they don't take too well to transplanting... I cut the wilted leaves back and hoped for the best through the winter and all that snow.

With the weather warming lately, I'd been checking the pot, checking the pot, checking the pot, offering little words of encouragement to the peony. I've never had a peony so I didn't know what I was looking for. So I was thrilled on march 29th when I saw ----

[​IMG]
    peony popping throuhg on 3/29/2010 ( photo / image / picture from daisybeans's Garden )

Seriously, I had a little celebration with that peony! I was so inspired by the resiliance of that tiny root!

Here it is today, almost three times the size and popping through in one or two more places --

[​IMG]
    peony on 4/3/2010 ( photo / image / picture from daisybeans's Garden )

It is always fun to see a new plant coming back in the Spring, but this particular one is especially meaningful to me. I can think of my grandmother whenever I look at it.

PS -- Is there anything I should know about growing a peony???

2. Loading...

3. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Isn't it exciting to see a family heirloom coming to life. Do you know what color it will be? Makes me excited to be out in the yard just looking at it stretching out.

4. Biita

Biita Arctic-ally Challenged Forager

That is a wonderful story!! I have them here all over the place and honestly i have no idea what to do with them. I just let them come up and they do their own thing. Mine are just breaking thru the ground now, so won't be long before they make their show.

Good luck with that very special plant, and i hope you get years and years out of it as did your grandma and aunt.

5. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Congratulations on your heirloom peony! I'm so pleased for you. :D We've got three different granny-peonies outside.

Peonies don't like being moved when it comes to blooming, but they're generally easy to transplant in my opinion and experience. It might just be a couple of years before they deign to bloom afterwards.

I think your peony will have pink blooms, and I hope it will show at least one bloom this year. :stew2:

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Oh I love to see peonies starting to sprout. :-D You must show us yours again when it flowers for you Daisy. Your grandparents would be so proud of you keeping the peony alive and thriving. By the way I have some in my garden and, as far as I'm concerned, they appear to thrive on neglect. :rolleyes:

7. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Ah, Eileen & Bita, plants that thrive on neglect and do their own thing... that's what I like to hear! Droopy, you've cleared that transplanting question up for me -- it's the blooming that may be affected then. I hope I get bloom anyway. My aunt said this should be deep pink, Jewell.

Thanks for sharing in my excitement!!!

Logan likes this.
  8. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Oh how great.Heather left hers in the back yard at her old home and I told her to dig it up but the ground was way to frozen to try it.Her ex lives there now.I never got to see it bloom.
    You are really going to love it as it is so special.

Logan likes this.
  9. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Peonies are my most favorite bloom Daisybeans! I spent last winter worrying about my newly acquired Peony root from my mothers garden. Not only did my Peony survive, but it produced 3 wonderful blooms!

Logan likes this.
  10. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

I remember that Netty -- I thought of you and your peony when I saw this one pop up. Glenda, I'm sorry you didn't get to see Heather's bloom. I'll show you a picture if this one blooms -- when! I meant WHEN this one blooms.

Logan likes this.
  11. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

Congrats, I like peonies :) I was excited to see my peonies coming up too, though I didnt have time to take pics. My mom has a hosta that belonged to my grandmother, and she'd be so sad if it didnt come through a winter...its made it quite a few years now though!

12. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

The major thing you need to know about getting Paeonies (herbaceous ones) to flower is that the top of the plant should be no mmore than an inch below the surface of the soil. The buds need a period of cold ripening to initiate flowering. A baby one like yours may take a couple of years to mature enough. They like a rich soil in a well drained sunny position.

13. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Thanks for the comments, all!
    Palustris, thanks for the tip. I put this one in a pot to watch it. I'd like to transplant it somewhere more permanent -- can I wait until Fall or do it now?

14. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

They may be planted at any time as long as the soil is not frozen.

Logan likes this.
  15. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Thanks. Sounds good.

16. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

Daisybeans, Congrats on your family peony success! It must be your green thumbs! :D