Peony maybe?

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by Ronni, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

This is growing on the morning sun side of Ed's house. There are 3 of them...very full bushes, looks like they've been there for a long time. I have an idea they're peonies. I don't even know why I think that, where that knowledge might have come from. But whatever, am I right? Or are they something else entirely?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Ronni
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Bluewing0
      Replies:
      Views:

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Well done Ronni those are indeed peonies. Mine are just coming out of hibernation so it's lovely to see yours already in bud.

purpleinopp likes this.
  4. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Oh cool. The flowers are stunning, I do remember that! I recall white ones...do they come in other colors? And do they have any kind of fragrance? Oh, and one more question, do they make a good cut flower?

5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Oh yes, Peonies are my very favorite bloom, and the reason I fell in love with gardening! There are many colors Ronni, smell AMAZING, and make excellent cut flowers :)

stratsmom likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Gosh, you've got buds! Mine have sprouts, and I was happy with that but now I got impatient, lol. I love peonies too.

7. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

See that top picture Droopy? There are three bushes like that, and each bush is about half as big again as the circle you can make with your arms, and there are dozens of buds on each! SO MANY BLOOMS!!!! I'm really excited for them to start opening. Wish there was a way to stagger the flowering, so that I'd have more blooms for longer.

They only bloom once, right?

8. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Your right, they only bloom once but the plus is that their foliage stays nice looking (at least in my area) the rest of the year.

9. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

Id like some more peonies. I don't have any here, but I had 2 at my last house. I'm thinking about getting a Bowl of Beauty one, my aunt has some and they're gorgeous. Before, I had a Sarah Bernhardt and a Shawnee Chief.

10. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

It's started!!!! Between Sunday when I was last at Ed's, and last night when I went for dinner, a bunch of the buds that have been threatening to pop open finally did!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Aren't they gorgeous? And there are dozens and dozens of them! I'm going to have vases of peonies all over the house! And just in time for a visit from Ed's brother and sis-in-law as they travel from their summer house in Florida back to Michigan where they live. The guest room will be overflowing with peony flowers!! :stew1: I don't think there's anything that makes a room feel more welcoming than fresh cut flowers, do you?

eileen, stratsmom, Frank and 2 others like this.
  11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Super posting Ronni---you are right. A house full of the peony's will make your guests feel so welcome and content.

purpleinopp likes this.
  12. Coppice

Coppice In Flower

Peony probably.

13. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Oh Ronni, they are gorgeous! I just can't wait until mine bloom and I can have Peony's all over the house!

stratsmom likes this.
  14. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Thanks Netty...I cut the first blooms and brought them inside, where I can enjoy them every minute! There are dozens more blooming now.

I mean seriously, how perfect is this? :heart::flower:

[​IMG]

stratsmom, Cayuga Morning and Frank like this.
  15. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Ronni those are beautiful. Mine are just starting to poke their heads out of the earth. I have a few I need to move if it stops raining long enough to get outside. I sent you a PM on the Hosta.

16. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Ed's brother and sis-in-law came to visit on their way from their place in Florida to their home in Michigan. I had done a lot of work on the upstairs guest bedroom to make it a comfortable place for them to spend the night. Here's a quick before and after ;)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

What made it especially nice is that I was able to add some cut flowers to the guest room. It was such a kick to head out into the garden and cut some flowers to put in their room, to make it more welcoming.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This dresser set is Ed's Grandmother's. It'd been stuck away in a drawer for forever, and so when I found it and dug it out, it just seemed the perfect thing to display with those lovely flowers. Ed was very touched, and it brought back such strong, warm memories of his Grandma. :heart: His brother said the same thing when he saw it.
    [​IMG]

Ed and his brother lost their Dad to Leukemia when Ed was 8. So they very both very touched to see one of the few photos of their Dad so prominently displayed in the upstairs bedroom. :)

[​IMG]

We had a lovely time hanging on the porch and cooking out. Ed and Tad presided over the grill, Sue and I did the sides. That's Sue on the far side of the porch, taking a photo too. :) Wyatt, Ed's son is sitting on the glider. Ed's brother is in the blue shirt and Ed has his back to the camera.

[​IMG]

eileen and Sjoerd like this.