Peperomia propagation observations

Discussion in 'Houseplants' started by fish_4_all, Aug 4, 2013.

1. fish_4_all

fish_4_all In Flower

I have a couple peperomia obtusifolia, a plain and a variegated. I have started many plants from them but I had never had the patience to start them from leaf cuttings. A couple died, a couple others I just didn't have room to wait for them with other stem cuttings ready to be started.

Well I took 4 leaves early this year, I think it was February, and I decided to try and get starts from them. I made nice clean cuts leaving just a small portion of stem on both sides. I then prepared the media which was a 1/3 peat, 1/3 coir and 1/3 worm castings. After I had the pot good and packed with the mixture, I dipped the leaf ends and stem in a powder root starter. I then buried the leaves deep, probably deeper than I should have, close the 2 inches deep and toward the bottom of the 4" pot. I then watered them heavy and put them in a seed tray with a large dome cover and there they sat. And sat, and sat, and sat. I figured I had got a leaf to take root and that was all I was going to get.

Thankfully I didn't have, or more like I didn't want to start anymore plants, so I left them even though I wanted to throw them out a couple times. Then about 3 weeks ago I saw the first new growth poke it's head out. It died rather quickly so I was still thinking I had leaf that would never grow. Well 2 weeks ago I got a big surprise with 4 new sprouts in one pot from 1 leaf and 6 in another from 2 leaves. 1 more sprout did die but I now have additional sprouts in the 2 pots combined and I am very happy with the results, as one could imagine.

Of all the stats I have done the leaf starts have taken the longest by far to do anything. Making cutting with 4-6 leaves results in very fast growth but a crowded 4" pot from the beginning.

If you do try the leaf cutting method I do recommend leaving at least a 1/4 inch piece of stem on both sides. I tried just the leaves with no stem and they all rotted in short order.

So if you have the patience and like all of the sudden surprises give the leaf method a try for starting Peperomia obtusifolia and be ready for that wonderful surprise one day when you have almost forgotten about them.

I will try to post pics tomorrow if I can find my camera.

Frank, Jewell and Cayuga Morning like this.
  2. Loading...

3. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Congrats.. Once you figure out the exact way then it all comes easy. You will be taking leaves from all over the place now. Everyones plants will be naked. :D :D

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  4. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Barb, you have a way with words!

5. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Welcome back fish 4 all good to see you again ;)

Frank likes this.

Advertisement
  6. fish_4_all

fish_4_all In Flower

Oh I am around on here a lot I just haven't had much time to post or post about, but thank you stratsmom.

I wish I could just cut leaves, my giant peperomia would get fuller. I guess I can just cut them off and not start them. :D

BTW, when it comes to plant edits, what is considered the max spread? My large specimen is well over 3 feet across from tip to tip but I didn't want to put that as an edit not knowing what it means for them.

Pictures will be posted when I find the camera cord now. Found the camera but can't find the cord to download the pics.

7. fish_4_all

fish_4_all In Flower

[​IMG]

There are 7 in this one although I doubt I will leave that many. The other is hiding under a leaf.

[​IMG]

There are 5 in this one but one may not survive but not giving up hope. It is amazing how resilient these plants are. I had one that came up, the first leaf died and it grew back anyway. If you look really close at the bottom picture the bottom stem, you can see that it just doesn't look proper.

8. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

They look like roots. You can add soil or just let it be like that.

9. fish_4_all

fish_4_all In Flower

The bottom picture the large one on the right has some air roots. The leaf on the left is where all the starts came from. All I planted in the bottom one a very small 2 leaf cutting and a leaf with some stem left on it.

The top one, all I planted was the 2 giant leaves and all those starts came up out of the ground after months of waiting.