Pet peeves!!

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Ronni, Nov 27, 2021.

1. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

7E4AD0D7-0638-4F30-A181-71AC91184307.jpeg
    Crusty refrigerator door handles! [​IMG] (these dang grandkids and their messy hands lol! )

What’s yours?

Jewell, Sjoerd, Dirtmechanic and 2 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Home related: Plastic bags with stuff in them dumped on the floor! Once the house is done I'm chucking all bags with stuff in them into the broom closet and my family can look for their stuff there.

Away-related: people with bad manners.

4. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Sticky floors in pancake houses or movie theatres.

Jewell, Droopy and Sjoerd like this.
  5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

People who will not take "No" as an answer.

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Toast crumbs all over the work surfaces and floor when Ian makes himself a couple of slices - then in the sink when he washes his plate. Haven't men heard to clearing up behind them?:mad:

7. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

Cats that get me up before dawn and then turn their noses up at the food I get out for them.

8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Young people addressing me with the familiar form of “you” (jij / je instead of U). Actually, it isn’t only young people, it is adults that don’t even know me.
    Of course, there isn’t an exact equivalent in English...but when to use “sir” and “mum” or “ma’am” is a similar thing. Kids these days even use the informal form to their parents. Times are changing.

I say young people, but also in written and spoken communication from businesses. I know its just a word, but still. Call me old- fashioned, but I see myself as a progressive person trying not to get stuck in the past; however, it does still bother me.

While I’ve got you here—my Bride has something to add. Dogs off leash running at you and sometimes jumping up on you in their slobbering playful excitement. She just freezes but they continue, soiling her hands and clothing while their oblivious masters just laugh and say how cute it all is.

...annnnnd while we are in the park, bicyclists biking on the narrow footpath where they are not supposed to be. If it isn’t bad enough, they actually ring their bike-bells for you to step aside for them. It doesn’t get any crazier than that!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
  9. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Sjoerd, I so agree! I dislike us being addressed as "you guys" by wait staff or clerks. I am not a guy, and ma'am or sir is so much more polite (and likely to get a good response or a tip!).
    I also dislike being called by my first name by children. When I correct them--call me Mrs. last name--sometimes the parents get huffy.

10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Ah yes...the parents. I wonder if it is a stretch to suggest that it is the huffy parents themselves that are responsible for this less than polite behaviour. Chuckle.

Tetters, Droopy and marlingardener like this.
  11. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Sj please tell your bride i dislike it also when dogs off leash come charging at me. If I am in shorts their claws can leave long scratchy bruises!

Sjoerd likes this.
  12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Will do, Cayu.

13. mart

mart Strong Ash

Can`t complain about dogs since they are all ours and are not above getting whopped if they jump on me !
    However animals are not on my favorites list after the last few days ! Will go into that later !
    Like most small towns there are two sides ! North where we are and south where everyone else is !
    The young people on the north side are very respectful and helpful and always say yes mam and yes sir ! Hold doors open ect ! Even try to help load your purchases for you !
    South side while not disrespectful they seem a bit indifferent ! This forum is not big enough for all of my pet peeves !

marlingardener and Droopy like this.
  14. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Ha ha I couldn't agree more!
    Having said that, I do extremely hate how this pandemic seems to have given a lot of people the excuse to be generally rude, obnoxious and lazy.

15. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Here, here Netty.

16. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Ron and I are currently in California visiting with my oldest and family. I love my kinfolk deeply. But I’m about to lose my everloving mind because these 4 grandkids do NOT put things back where they’re supposed to go!!! Huge pet peeve for me! Put things back where they belong after you’ve used them!

If I need scissors, and there’s a place for them in the drawer or the knife block, WHY would they be out back by the jacuzzi, or thrown on the end of the youngest granddaughter’s bed, or laying on the floor in the living room!?

These kids!:mad::heart:

Netty and Sjoerd like this.