Phase Two Of The Broad Bean Planting

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Sjoerd, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

It has been a busy weekend with continued cleaning-up and transplanting. Today was a cloudy and cold day with a spattering of rain now and then. To be fair, I have to say that the sun did peek through a couple of times, though.
    I fed the birds and did some planting.

It was a good time to plant the second group of broadies on. Rain and snow is forecast, but these beans are tough and should survive.

Someone...I think that it was Bunkie was asking me about root trainers and I was telling her that the way root trainers work is that the roots are directed downwards in grooves in the 'trainer' module.
    Once the roots have reached the bottom they grow out the holes in the bottom and the coolness and air kill off the growing point of the root.
    [​IMG]

What ensues is that the roots; like the part above ground, make more branches and and side branches, creating a nice, thick root ball.
    [​IMG]

I have said it often-- that if a plant has a good and generous root system, then it can be expected to do very well and produce more harvestable veg.

Here you can see that the one bed has been filled-in now with more plants, and the ground covering is raked away to expose the soft and loose earth into which even more plantlets will be planted.
    [​IMG]

Once the job had been finished, I had a look at it and found it quite a pleasant and encouraging sight.
    [​IMG]

You can see the appalling situation of the strawberry beds. They will need some attention soon...but all in good time. I want to leave the weeds and dead leaves in place until the weather warms up a bit more and there is less chance of killing frosts.
    That one bed to the lower left is totally full of forget-me-nots. They have shallow roots, but still take away energy from the plants. I shall remove them and feed the plants some bone meal, then let them recover and get on with development and production.

I feel like when the broad beans are in and coming along that spring is progressing on schedule.

Last edited: May 28, 2022
    Droopy likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. gfreiherr

gfreiherr Young Pine

The garden and crops are looking good. I had to go to the wikipedia to read about broadbeans. I don't think I've ever had them. The photo of them looked similar to lima beans...are they similar in taste?I enjoy seeing your photos and the postings, it a good learning experience since I don't do many vegetables or other crops. My tomatos are doing well.

4. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

It is encouraging to see your posts Sjoerd. The phrase that comes to mind is "And awaaaay we go!" anticipating all of the exciting growth of things over the next months. It all looks so nice. You were really busy -- bet you feel great.

5. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Yay! Well done Sjoerd. :D Now, grow, beans, grow.

Advertisement
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

GAIL--I apologise for not explaining what broad beans were. It's a case of something that is so common here in Europe that I honestly didn't realise that they were perhaps not so well known over there.
    I know what Lima beans are, but I don't know what they taste like. I could imagine that their might be similar. One thing is that I like to pick the broad beans when they beans insider the shell is smallish rather than big and fat. The reason being that when they get big they become sort of mealy, and the little ones are not like that. I guess that this is true of many sorts of beans.
    It's good news to hear that your toms are doing well. I hope that you will post some pics as the progress.

I'm glad you like the posts, DAISY. I has a good chuckle when I read your "awaaaaaay we go'" remark. :)
    You are right, I do fel great after completing each little job. Feel REALLY good. I've been holed-up way too long this winter.

DROOPY-- Thanks.
    Now chanting with you at the top of my lungs:

"GROW BEANS, GROW!
    GROW BEANS, GROW!
    GROW BEANS, GROW"!

...I may make some plackards and walk in circles around them.

7. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Looking good Sjoerd. I would be fighting with myself while digging up those Forget Me Nots - they are such cute spring blooms! I've been looking for those root trainers here but have been unable to find them anywhere except a mail order catalog.

8. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Looking real good Sojerd, I need to join Droopy and you in the bean chant because I have not had any luck in any kind of beans.
    "GROW BEANS, GROW!
    GROW BEANS, GROW!
    GROW BEANS, GROW"!
    WoW!!! :D That feel good and I'll try French/Pole beans again real soon.

9. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

great explanations and pics sjoerd! now i have to go look at the bottom of my root trainers and inside and see what's happening.

this is the first time i've ever grown broad beans too. they're the same variety as sjoerd's. i've avoided them in the past because i've read that some people are allergic to them. hubby convinced me to try them this year. i'm doing them in root trainers like sjoerd...first time i've ever used those too!

lima beans are wonderfully beany tasting, especially in Succotash...mix limas with corn, butter and a little milk...not sure how to describe them. meaty, smooth...

10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

KK--You know, There is a bean that I am mad about but can't grow here due to our climate. It is the Vigna sesquipedalis.
    This bean I eat every time I eat in a Surinaam restaurant. It is a staple there. I am guessing that the climate is similar to yours and therefore might work well for you. The taste is not the same as european beans, but none-the-less very tasty (to me at least).
    Runner beans would probably work well there too, but require watering almost daily during the dry season.

Anyway, I shall be interested to hear how your French beans do this season. Which French bean will you be using?

BUNKIE-- Thank you. I am glad to hear that you liked the posting this time.

You know that I am very glad that yopu are trying runners. My only tip will be to pick them young--about the thickness of a finger for the most tastiness of results.

I usually cut them in segments to eat and freez-in. About the length of the distal segment of your finger.

Lima beans sound tasty the way you explain them.
    I may give them a try, if i can find them here.

hiyah NETTY-- Ye4s, it's asking too much to tear those forget-me-nots out before they have bloomed themselves out. I get alot of pressure to leave them. So, I shall be leaving them this year so that the bees can enjoy themselves. I am limiting myself to cleaning only the brown, dead material now.

I expect that the only place that you will find the root trainers will be in a catalogue or an online shop. I buy mine online because the garden centers near me do not have them.

11. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

Thanks @Sjoerd for the info. I just looked on Amazon, they have them now. Interesting idea :setc_015:

Sjoerd likes this.
  12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Oké Daniel.
    They may be worth a try. I went over to these quite awhile ago now and they have become the only thing I use now for starting veg. I use long ones and shorter ones, depending upon the veg I want to grow. I am so pleased with my results with these, as my seedlings get such a good start in life.

if you decide to try them next year, let me know your experiences and thoughts please.