Picking out daylilies...

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Sherry8, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I am just like a little kid in a candy store when I am going through my Oaks daylily catalog...I mark down everyone of them that I like and then I cut the list down from there. I try to limit myself. I did buy 8 and now I am thinking about a couple more. I still don't have any ideas on what to do in our yard...I was thinking of an old boat filled with flowers but our yard is not very big so I am trying to do something on a smaller scale. I don't want anything blocking our beautiful view of the lake. I have those 2 large planters and I am hoping I can find a place in the front yard for those...

2ofus, LIcenter and Frank like this.
  2. Loading...

3. LIcenter

LIcenter In Flower

I like the boat idea. What I would do to scale it down is to cut the boat in half, maybe less than half if it is on the large side. Cut some jagged edges along the side gunwales. Then set the bow on a slight incline, making it look like it wrecked on your property. Fill the open end with good dirt, and plant whatever you want, so it looks like it's spilling out of the beached boat.

2ofus likes this.
  4. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Exactly what I had planned with the plants spilling out.... it isn't easy trying to find a boat that doesn't have to float that someone is getting rid of... For the incline, we have it already. Our home had to be built out of the flood zone which puts us up higher than neighbors and the front slopes to the road and the back yard slopes to the lake. Now if they do any renovations, then they have to bring their property up out of the flood zone.