Pine wood Patio Furniture repair

Discussion in 'Home Improvement, DIY and Repair' started by ruth, Apr 29, 2013.

1. ruth

ruth New Seed

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from ruth's Garden )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hi there everyone!

I come to you with a question. As you can see from my pictures, I need help with my patio furniture. I've own this set for about 6 years. When I got it, I read a lot about adding a couple of coats of the minwax protector with teak oil. I did thinking that I would make it last longer. The box said that it was coated with teak oil already, but everywhere I read, it recommended at least 2 coats. so I did. But the year after as you can see it started peeling. I sanded it down all the way and recoated it. But it keeps doing it! Its almost like the coats are peeling off the wood Any suggestions on what to do to make it look better and last ? Even painting it with a color paint would work for me. Any suggestions on what paint would last once I sand it down. Is this furniture salvageable, I would just hate to get rid of it, it is sturdy and does the job, it just looks ancient!! Im just getting a bit discouraged as I sanded it down all the way and tried coating it to protect it from the weather, but again it does it in no time. a year at most. Not sure if anything at this point will work.
    Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
    Ruth

2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

If you have used teak oil on it, the oil has penetrated and most likely won't allow paint to adhere.
    I agree that the furniture is attractive, and it would be a shame to get rid of it. How about sanding it down, washing it with TSP (trisodiumphosphate, and follow the directions on the package to the letter)and after rinsing it thoroughly and letting it dry, applying two or even three coats of a waterproof sealer, such as Thompson's. The sealers come with stains built in if you don't want just transparent.
    You might want to try this on one area to see how it goes before wearing yourself out doing all the furniture!

4. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Ruth you could sand it down and apply a couple coats of a marine paint that is oil based. It should stick as it is an oil. You could also call a place that does refinishing and see what they say about how to go about saving that cute bench.
    I do not think I would use the water seal products. Many of them say not to put on furniture that you sit on. I think it maybe because of the chemicals in products. Hope that helps. Looking forward to hearing what you decided to do. :stew1:

5. ruth

ruth New Seed

Hi , thanks to both for your replies. I've been thinking of using that TSP marling ardener suggests to clean it after sanding it.then the white primer to prime it, but tooty2shoes, what is marine paint, have you used it before? Am trying to get something that will last for sure. :) thanks again you guys for your input!

6. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Ruth Marine based paint it what they use on boats. I think you might be able to get some from a place like Menards or a good hardware store. It would hold up outdoors better than just plain exterior paint. Hope that helps. ;)