Pinesol for wasp/hornet/insect killer

Discussion in 'Plant Pests, Diseases and Weeds' started by RJ, May 13, 2011.

1. RJ

RJ New Seed

Here in Michigan we been invaded by the nasty european paper wasp. They have the same body and shape of the brown wasp. However those little suckers are vicious to say the least. They also have 2x the venom of regular wasp. Bees absolutely do not like pine oil. Pinesol original formula is the best. The contents are 10% pine oil and detergents and water. It not only will kill the wasp within seconds but it repeals them from coming back. Wasp, hornets, yellow jackets, bumble bees (the friendly ones that circle you) all are susceptible to this product. If you want a non pesticide solution try this: mix in a sprayer at least 90% or full strength original Pinesol ( no imitations ) with water. Spray the nest and BANG dead in seconds the stragglers will also vacate. Also for prevention a 80% mix sprayed on problem areas will detract nests from being constructed. I've used this method for years with flawless results. PLEASE PLEASE don't kill the honey bees though they are responsible for pollinating and giving us all the honey, wax, and fruit we eat. I think it was Dan Rather the reporter that said "if the honey bees disappear so will humans" be safe and respect nature. :smt027

art33 likes this.
  2. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

We have had an invasion of wasps the last couple of years, think I will give the Pinesol treatment a try.

Dan Rather was paraphrasing an Einstein quote... Albert Einstein once said: "If the bee disappears from the surface of the earth, man would have no more than four years to live. No more bees, no more pollination ... no more men!"

3. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Sounds interesting. I will try it too this summer. It would be nice not to have to use poisons on the wasps and yellow jackets and hornets. Honey bees never bother me, I can walk around them they ignore me. I am allergic to anything that stings or bites.

4. happyzinnia

happyzinnia Seedling

Will this also work on Ants? I will try it on the yellow jackets that insist on building a nest in our air conditioner every year.

Advertisement
  5. RJ

RJ New Seed

I'm sure it would work for the ants. The only drawback is, it would only kill the ants that are sprayed directly. The reason the Pinesol works so well for wasp and other bee's is you can hit them directly. The other reason is from the articles I've read, wasp, hornets, yellow jackets, etc do not like pine oil. Since Pinesol is 10% pine oil and detergent, the product will kill quickly and prevent reoccurrence. I would recommend a specific product designed for ants. I'm not sure this method of using Pinesol would do the job. For the wasp however it works great and is a better solution than poisons. Hope this helps......just remember to keep safe, you don't want to get stung!

6. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I'm putting Pinesol on the shopping list right now!
    Thanks for the tip.

7. CrisGzr

CrisGzr In Flower

ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow!

I just met some yellow jackets that disagree with my weeding today! Aggressive little ....wasps! I got stung twice and could feel them hitting my shirt!

Not sure I should spray now or wait until they calm down or wait until this evening.

But I do have a big bottle of Pinesol I got at Costco a few years ago! Good thing I hate cleaning!

No honey bees in this area, there are only azaleas and they were done blooming in April.

ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow ow!

I am so glad I found your post!

cherylad likes this.
  8. CrisGzr

CrisGzr In Flower

I think it worked, I soaked the ground with Pinesol spray. I heard some buzzing when I started but no bees and an added plus -it caused several wolf spiders to abandon the hostas! I am very happy and actually love the smell!