Pink potentilla reverting to yellow?

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by 2ofus, Aug 16, 2016.

1. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I think my pink potentilla is reverting to yellow. Should I cut the yellow blooming parts back or is it a lost cause?

Attached Files:

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Is it a cultivar or was it grafted onto another root stock?

4. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I've never seen pink before, I really like it!!!

5. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I don't see, or feel any graft. Is it normally just above the roots and below where the branches start?

Advertisement
  6. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

OMG - I definitely hope my PINK Potentilla doesn't start to turn yellow. I just got and planted TWO pink ones and I, for sure, HOPE they're going to stay PINK! :)

7. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I have never seen this happen to a Potentilla! Following this thread with interest!

8. toni

The graft will be a knot between the roots and first limbs. But I can't find any info about grafting Potentillas so I guess that isn't the problem.

Are the pink and yellow blooms on the same stem or are separate stems? I was thinking that maybe the two colors were combined in the pot when they were being grown at the nursery.

Oh, I just did some google searching and found some info that one of the red/pink cultivars will change to yellow blooms if it is getting too much heat. But if yours isn't a cultivar that probably won't be the issue.
    Also just found info that Potentilla fruticosa will change color in heat too, it goes from pink to pale yellow.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
  9. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Well S%$#! :smt099 I moved it to the front of the house, facing south, this spring. I already had one in front that has been there since last year and decided to transplant the one from the back yard this last spring. The first one is still all pink but the newer transplant is the one reverting to yellow. My front yard is hotter than my back yard as it faces south and gets reflected heat off of the house. If I transplant it to the back yard again and trim off the yellow branches will it go back to pink?

10. toni

I think I would try transplanting it to a cooler location. I have no idea if it will go back to pink but since you don't like it yellow it's worth a try. The two plants could be different species and one reverts in heat while the other one doesn't. Cutting off the yellow ones would make it more pleasing to look at and they do need pruning sometimes so cutting off the yellow might not hurt.

11. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Heat will make them change colour! Whoa - never knew that one so am not wondering if the one I planted out front that gets full hot sun will start to fade out of the pink.......drats I hope not.

12. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I need to check and see if the change is in separate limbs or if the 2 colors are mixed.... they seem to be on separate limbs but I did notice that the yellow blossoms are mostly on the south side so I think you've found the problem, Toni. Thank you for looking that up for me. I'll have to wait until next month, as it is too hot now to transplant, but I'll move them both to the back yard then, cut them back and cross my fingers that next year it will be all pink.