Pinkiereds back and has a rose question!

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by StillPinkie, Jun 28, 2009.

1. StillPinkie

StillPinkie New Seed

HI ALL! For those of you who remember me, SUP CHICKEN BUTTS! Ill be posting in my blog soon enough. Lots has happened on the 3 yrs since it all happened. But for now, Im in FL and have a rose question.

My mom has this rose that I had moved about 2 yrs ago. It was growing in a bush that had died and I dug up to get rid of. Shes a climbin rose for sure. But I think shes a small one. I had moved her to a spot by moms driveway. Since then the tree behind is has grown to shade her mostly. I think she gets about 4 to 5 hours of direct sun a day. When I planed her, she was about 6 inch tall and now shes only about 6 foot. Mom said shes bloomed once this year but this is FL and she should have bloomed more than that. I have also noticed stems growing from under the knot. Are these suckers? Ive never EVER seen them like this. Theres more of these than the actually rose. They are healther than the rose stems too.

Should I relocate her and cut these stems off when I dig her up?

THANKS!

2. Loading...

3. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

Hi, Pinkie! Welcome back! I'm not a rose expert but many roses are grafted onto other rose rootstock so maybe that's what's trying to grow under your rose. I think I would cut off the shoots. It could be sapping the strength from the climbing bush and slowing down growth and blossoming.

dooley

4. StillPinkie

StillPinkie New Seed

HI DOOLEY!

Yea that what I was thinking too. The shoots coming up off the rootstock is healther than the actual rose. It just should be fuller and bigger by now.

Thanks

5. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Hi there Pinkie.I've really missed you.Welcome home.
    I think Dooley is right.You know me not good at growing roses.
    I will be watching for you to blog.

Advertisement
  6. StillPinkie

StillPinkie New Seed

>>>>>>GLENDANN<<<<<< :stew2: Ive miss you to death!!! And I saw the pics of the roses in youre photos. Those arent youre? They are so pretty!

7. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Hard to believe isn't it :).Every time I see roses I think of you.I am just soooooo glad to hear from you girl.Its just been so long .I still mention you on here now and then.When I have blooms from your plants I have to tell they were from you.I'm glad you have a big yard to start growing again.

8. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Welcome back Pinkiered :wave:
    Good luck with your Rose

9. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hello and a big, warm welcome back Pinkie!!! :kiss: It's sooooo good to have you back with us again. :D

10. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

Welcome back :D

Ya know, that reminded me of an article I read last year. It was about a woman who had a beautiful rose that was dying, and it had suckers. She was going to toss the whole thing, but her dad talked her into keeping it, and seeing what the suckers would become. So she did, and eventually it grew into a gorgeous old rose that she absolutely loved the look and scent of. So who knows what could be trying to grow eh?

11. gardengater

gardengater Young Pine

Glad to meet you Pinkie. I think I'd be tempted to leave the suckers and see what results, but I'm an experimentor by nature. Good luck and let us know the results.

12. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Welcome back girlfriend!!! :smt039 How are you? You must be well if you are gardening :D I've thought about you often, it's good to hear from you again!

Deanna
    :-D

13. StillPinkie

StillPinkie New Seed

Thanks everyone. I was out there looking at it today debating what to do and I noticed that the trunk is buried and its sitting under a very full tree so its not getting much sun. I think Im just going to have to gather the courage to dig the ol' girl up and move her. Boy she has some nasty thorns too.