planting bulbs in containers?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by nanabanana49, Oct 2, 2007.

1. nanabanana49

nanabanana49 New Seed

Hi l am a new member,and new to being a gardener,l wanted to know if l can plant bulbs in containers outside, l live in Michigan zone 4 ty :stew1:

2. Loading...

3. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

I know they can be grown in pots indoors, I dont see why not outdoors as well :) I would say as long as the bulbs are planted as deep as recommended, they ought to do fine :)

4. redrose

redrose Seedling

A fellow Michigander, welcome to GardenStew. Though I must admit, I'm fairly new as well. Planting bulps is often successful, though I'd keep in mind that winter will soon be approaching. If you have a greenhouse or an area to help keep them from the cold, it would likely prove beneficial if you plan to plant them some time this year.

5. petunia

petunia Young Pine

I see another michigan person. hey Nanabanana if you look under the flower forum and look at 'winter sowing' that should come in quit handy. I'm going to start this as my winter project. Hope this helps, welcome to garden stew

Advertisement
  6. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Welcome Nanabanana. My winters are down to -10 deg C, occasionally colder.

Bulbs in containers are not a problem, as long as the container is deep and wide enough to accomodate your bulbs.

You can even plant layerwise to increase the flowering intrest length in your container. Say tulip bulbs furthest down, narcissi on top of those and snow drops or crocus on top of those again.

Take care not to plant the bulbs directly on top of each other, and don't forget to feed them.

I'm not sure that such an arrangement will last for years, mind, but will be great for one season.

7. Palm Tree

Palm Tree Young Pine

Welcome Nanabanana

The Stew is a wonderful way to pass time, to get information and just to relax.

With regard to containers - check the material the container is made of.
    a metal container will heat up the soil and thus the bulb very quickly, and vice versa in cold weather.
    a terracotta or clay container would be ideal in most cases.
    a plastic container or glass container?? You make up your mind.
    Generally all bulbs will grow in containers provided you plant and care for them appropriately.
    Happy gardening.

8. nanabanana49

nanabanana49 New Seed

planting bulbs in containers

Ty all for your great advice,l will try and see what happens,have a wonderful day Misty

9. dirt2diamonds

dirt2diamonds In Flower

I planted mixed bulbs in a container this fall and hope that they get enough of cold not to rot.

10. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

Welcome to the Stew :smt039

Nanabanana49... I will be planting bulbs soon. I live in East Texas and this will be a first for me. I will be using containers and layering the bulbs to try and get maximum color and growth time. If it doesn't work, I will find out and know better next year.I will be planting in plastic planters and live in, zone 8.