Planting Directions For New Trees......

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by Richie Cooper, May 21, 2012.

1. Richie Cooper

Richie Cooper Seedling

hello everyone, hope all are well.
    My wife and I just purchased two trees, one Hydrangea Tree and one Peony Tree. We have not recieved them yet, just ordered off line. I was wondering if anyone could give me some planting tips, like, should I use some compost or anything like that when I plant them.
    I am assuming that they will be just little twigs when we recieve them so I want to give them a fighting chance. :)
    Well, as usual I want to thank you all very much for all your great help. 8)

2. Loading...

3. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Congratulations on your new plants! :stew1: I was told that new plants should never be planted in compost or fertilized before they've had time to settle a bit. I don't know if that's correct but it's how I've done it, with good results. Somebody more tree-experienced will probably be along to give you directions. :D

4. Richie Cooper

Richie Cooper Seedling

Droopy,
    Thank You very much. If it has worked for you then I will NOT use anything when planting.

5. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

We have planted so so many different kind of plants in the last 6 years and I think the most important thing is to water, water, water unless it rains.....

Anything else you do is extra and nice but not that important. If you cut corners, which I have so many times, don't cheat on the watering.

So I have stressed to my hubby, dig the whole just big enough for the plants root and then fill the hole with water up to the top and let it drain down, then plant the tree and water it even more. Get water on it everyday for that first week and if the you have a heat wave, water water water, unless God gives you water.

Don't make a big deal of planting things and they will get done. My hubby used to fret over the upcoming job and the things never got planted. That's no good. Now he plants things very quickly but has the hose right there....

Barb in Pa.

Miss Liberty likes this.
  6. Richie Cooper

Richie Cooper Seedling

Thanks, I will make sure the new trees get plenty of water. 8) Have a great week.

moderator's note: removed unnecessary quoting of previous post