Planting in Clover

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Growingpains, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

I have a question, and I know at least one of the brilliant gardeners can answer my query.
    My question is about planting the garden in the Red Clover. Must I dig up the Clover? I wondered if seeds will grow through the Clover?
    I totally love how Clover makes the soil soft and pliable.
    Hurry with the answer. I need to begin planting ! :-? :D

2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

We put part of our pasture in clover for the bees--honeybees just LOVE clover. Clover also fixes nitrogen in the soil, and adds tilth when turned in.
    If you plan to plant a garden using the clover as living mulch, you may have a problem. Clover is strong, and may overshadow and be too competitive your garden seeds.
    You could strip the clover from the planting rows, put your seeds in, and then keep the clover out of the rows by hand weeding (fun!) or cultivating. Personally, I'd use the clover as a cover crop for late fall and winter.

4. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Marlin, we did plant the Red Clover last Fall and it grows beautifully. Rabbits eat some. I hope it attracts bees because we're in dire need of Honeybees here.
    I did wonder if thee Clover might be too competitive, so I may just dig a swath about 6 inches wide where I plant seeds, and leave it standing in the middles. As I work the rows, I will have the Clover to tromp on. In some areas, I may just dig it under.
    Thanks for the reply.

5. mart

mart Strong Ash

Before it seeds just turn it under where you want to plant and leave it around the edges.

6. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Mart, thanks for the advice. I'm going to do just as you suggest. I'll let you know how it works. :-D