Plasma cutter

Discussion in 'Home Improvement, DIY and Repair' started by Aderek, Feb 27, 2021.

1. Aderek

Aderek New Seed

Hi all! I don't have much experience with plasma cutters. but I'm curious what is a good plasma cutter brand looking for farm use, not for commercial?
    thanks.

Dirtmechanic and S-H like this.
  2. mart

mart Strong Ash

Why do you need a plasma cutter on a farm ? We have a farm and a welder for fences, equipment ect but have never had need of a plasma cutter !

marlingardener likes this.
  3. Haskell

Haskell New Seed

If your knowledge about plasma cutter is not enough then I suggest you first see this article here https://www.auditpowertools.com/what-is-a-plasma-cutter/ and then make your decision.
    CUT50 I believe is the most recommended here. CUT50 has advanced IGBT technology to maximize power efficiency. It can easily cut metals up to ¾ inches thick.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    S-H likes this.
  4. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

I have knowledge and some experience with some very powerful giant CNC industrial laser cutters, (mainly their semiconductor fiberoptic laser heads).

IMG_20190322_153443.jpg

IMG_20190322_153450.jpg

But I have never used a plasma cutter... Still I am aware of them, as well as their advantages and disadvantages in use, (so shouldn't have much trouble using) - However, these things (even the small ones) aren't toys to be played with. So if you are even slightly unsure about them, I would recommend that you become an apprentice of someone who is using plasma cutters, (at least for 2 months).

Otherwise, in untrained hands, it's an accident just waiting to happen I swear... So please, don't take any chances. Either get proper training and certification for them, or become someone's appreciate for a little while.

I caution you again sir, PLEASE do not take any chances with such powerful equipment, (even the small ones can be very dangerous)...

There have been many unfortunate disasters, which otherwise could have been easily prevented - Had the person using them been properly trained.

I'm sorry to say this, but even though YouTube video tutorials are very helpful sometimes. They still are no substitute for some actual real world hands on experience.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021

Advertisement
  5. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

I think he is inspired by the movie Astronaut Farmer, (but isn't going to admit it to us right now).

:chuckle::smt005:chuckle:

Or he is sent over here by some secret government agency, just to get me talking about how much progress have I made so far - Because I am actually the one inspired by that movie, (and so planning to launch into space from my backyard)...

:snicker: :rofl::smt044

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
  6. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

Most guys I know get them from harbor freight. Usually they are the first stage of a future plan for a computerized cutting table. There are a few good youtube videos, one guy built a custom atv-ute with an articulating frame for his property. He used the rig to make a ton of gussets as he weldedup the frame.