Plum Tree problem

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by bob6831, May 24, 2007.

1. bob6831

bob6831 New Seed

Hi.
    Have a plum tree about 7 years old now.
    Last year I pruned it back (almost can say I cut it almost all down), because had bad case of black bumps all over the branches (black rot?). Have had this problem with my grapes (greeen grapes shrivel up, turn black rand die/drop off) which are right next to the plum tree. I don't see any bumps left this year, and lo and behold it flowered and produced some baby plums.
    ......... which brings me to problem I have had since it started producing plums. That is, some kind of problem (curico???) where a bug/bugs get into the baby plum, and basically stay into it until ready to pick and then of course inside is ruined.
    If my memory serves me, I did try Sevin?....... not sure if helped. I know I need to get an effective product/process/spraying routine to stop this and then be consistent about it.
    Any help?
    Thx.
    Bob

2. Loading...

3. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

Sounds like Plum moth. We use a pheremone trap put on the trees in early spring. This attractas the males who then refrain from mating with the females who then cannot lay their eggs on the plum flowers. The trouble with spraying is that it needs to be dome at the same time as the bees are about pollinating the plum blossom.

4. bob6831

bob6831 New Seed

Just checked my plum tree yesterday and found a lot of whitish colored leaves. Looking at the underside of the leaves I see some kind of green-gray smallish bug bunches. What is this?
    Also looks like only have few plums left.
    What can I do to avoid these disease/insect problems???? What is a good spraying program?
    Thx.
    Bob