Poisionous glaze?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by cuatro-gatos, Mar 2, 2013.

1. cuatro-gatos

cuatro-gatos In Flower

Has anyone noticed stickers on certain decorative glazed pots that warn not to plant eatable items in them? A few volunteer tomatoes have come up in a pot that I believe had one of those ominous stickers. The 2 plants seem so happy, and are covered in flowers.
    Of course the sticker is long gone, I've had this pot for approx 4 or 5 years. Does anyone know if that issue goes away after a while? Or, should I just stop being lazy and transplant them?

2. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Most likely the glazed decorative pots were made in Mexico, (China or some other country could be too) that uses LEAD in their paints,glazes and/or clay. The lead seeps into the soil then the plant itself, so if it had a sticker warning not to use it to hold/grow edible items or if you suspect it is one of those pots, don't use it for edible plants. Planting decorative plants isn't a problem.

3. mart

mart Strong Ash

Ditto what Toni said. You might look it up and see if you can transplant before the tomatoes start. I have no idea if it dissipates in the plant.

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Lead is not able to dissolve in water or biodegrade, dissipate, decay, or burn. It does accumulate in the body causing some serious, serious health problems.

Advertisement
  5. rockhound

rockhound In Flower

Transplant the tomatoes as soon as possible. I think if it were me, I'd clean the pot and give it away(with the warning) or use it not near the garden or kitchen.

6. cuatro-gatos

cuatro-gatos In Flower

Well, with much regret I pulled up the 2 very healthy look plants. Figured better safe than sorry.
    Planted a few petunia in their place.
    Thanks for all your input.