Poor old Jade Plant needs help

Discussion in 'Houseplants' started by stratsmom, May 30, 2016.

1. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I have a huge jade plant that is about 10 years old. She is BEAUTIFUL except she has gotten so big that she has fallen over. The trunk is probably 2 inches thick, at least. I'm thinking I need to saw it away from the base and start it again. I don't know if I should just put it right in a pot or try to root it?? Any ideas??

2. Loading...

3. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

004.JPG 004.JPG

Attached Files:

• 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      118 KB
      Views:
  4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Jade is VERY easy to root. I also had a bunny in my greenhouse over the winter... she ate everything..and I do mean everything. nor did any of it make her sick... just me. She ate one of my jades clear to the soil line. Happy to say it is regrowing, it just took a long time for it to happen. so, cut it back a little farther than you want it and let the stem rebranch. You can also break up the piece you cut off and pot them up in sand or a cactus mix. park them someplace protected but not covered with a cloth... in the shade out of wind ( I park mine under a greenhouse bench.) and give them time, they will reroot.

stratsmom likes this.
  5. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I decided to leave the tall, thick trunk and cut off all the branches. I felt her pain :smt022Poor old gal, but now she has 3 or 4 new daughters :sete_058: