Pop-up flowers

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by marlingardener, Aug 7, 2022.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Texas has a delightful little wildflower, Ruella, which is also known as "Mexican Petunia." It comes up here, there, everywhere, and seems to be impervious to heat and drought. We have several clumps in our yard and are thinking of digging and transplanting into flower beds.
    rueilla.jpg

Droopy, Melody Mc., Tetters and 5 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Lillium_Lover

Lillium_Lover Seedling

Those would be a pretty ground cover. I love the periwinkle color!

4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Those look really nice. Good luck with domesticating them.

5. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Ha ha great expression Sjoerd.

Sjoerd and Lillium_Lover like this.

Advertisement
  6. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

I've never heard of this wildflower before and am wondering if it would survive here in the UK.
    It would be a huge advantage in these flower beds, especially as, it seems, time to rethink just what we will and will not be able to grow successfully with the climate changing as it seems to. It is so pretty.

7. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

8. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Tetters, I hope you have luck with the ruellia. Beware, it spreads easily. When you get one plant, next year three or four, and then they take off like crazy!
    As Lilium said, it does make a great ground cover, but it grows 6" to 8" tall, which may be a bit tall for a ground cover.

Tetters and Lillium_Lover like this.
  9. mart

mart Strong Ash

But excellent as a border along walk ways ect ! Just use edging to keep in check !

10. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

Thanks for the replies MG and Mart. The only problem I can see with this plant is that it is only deemed to be half hardy here, and it's a worry when we often have quite extreme frosts here as well as the recent heat waves... I suppose though it would help to use a bit of extra mulch to keep the roots warm :confused:

11. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Tetters, don't worry about extreme heat. The picture posted was taken on a day that hit 102 here. The ruellia has been through even hotter days with no ill effects. Extra mulch never hurts, though. We rarely have extreme cold weather, although these plants went through the big freeze and snow of 2021 and were fine the next summer.

Tetters likes this.
  12. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

It wasn't heat that worried me, but where we are it can drop to 4C or 39.2 F in the winter. I've lost a few plants by frost - thus the thought of mulch [​IMG]
    Thinking about temperatures and changing the subject slightly, we have not been seeing our rabbits in the past few weeks, and we did have a LOT of them. The amount of birds is also dwindling - NO long tailed tits, and far fewer generally. The woodpeckers seem to be coping though.

Pacnorwest likes this.
  13. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Tetters, about a month ago we saw our first rabbit in years! We used to have rabbits eating our peanut plants, hopping through the yard, and making burrows in the asparagus bed. But, since the cats moved in (took over) we haven't had rabbits. Wonder why?:setc_039:
    We have had fewer bird species, but more of the ones who have shown up. This morning I am sure I heard an owl about 4:30 a.m. We rarely get owls (can't blame that on the cats) but I did hear one this morning. I hope it is a harbinger of things to come!

Pacnorwest and Tetters like this.
  14. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

The thing is, we had so many rabbits, maybe because there were less people, but now they have just disappeared. There has been no sign of illness among them, like myxomatosis, as is quite often the case, and no signs of bodies. It is as if they were just wiped off the face of the earth in one quick go. Zigs said he has only spotted one since this apparent exodus, and that's the biggest fattest buck you ever saw. I did wonder if he had eaten all the others :eek:

Pacnorwest and marlingardener like this.
  15. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Jane, aren't cats pretty tough on birds?

Pacnorwest likes this.
  16. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Cayuga, our cats have trouble catching a cold, much less something that can fly! We had a cardinal fly into the patio door and knock itself silly. Buddy came up, picked it up and carried it to the grass. The cardinal fluttered, shook itself a bit, and flew off. Both cats are on "catch and release".

Netty and Cayuga Morning like this.