Pot-pourri

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Sjoerd, Jul 6, 2021.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

This time there is a variety of things to talk about, not just planting veg
    To begin with, the last of the broad beans were picked and processed...with some chucked into the freezer. Just look at this lovely thing, plump morsels on a cottony-soft bed of natural white velvet.
    3A32B33B-31C5-48B1-8FC1-7962E0002D1B.jpeg

And then, the last of the peas:
    BF10C254-A972-4BE4-AC33-986A9BBA47C9.jpeg

The peas went in to the deep-freeze but the broadies were turned into this—
    C755462F-CE3C-453E-A471-48853745FD83.jpeg

Cheesed mash potato's with gravy, beefsteak and the broad beans with bacon fat cubes. I fade into a foggy state of ecstasy when I eat this.

Our somewhat diminished strawberry harvest still gave enough for jam and more jam as well as countless strawberry short cake puds. We have had problems with wilt, voles and waaay too much rain this year. The bees could not fly often enough to pollenate the blossoms adequately. We sometimes would find peculiar misinformed specimens. Witness this:
    576010E1-A3F4-4F0D-A5CB-EBD151C737DB.jpeg

This strawb was so peculiar that it would make an angel blush. Speaking of blushing angels, take a look at this one:
    635FB0CF-49F0-4F89-B4BB-1596EDD08DE5.jpeg

Isn’t that just gorgeous. The label on the little pot said Lychnis coronaria. To me that meant neon red or white. Most other ones do not have those fuzzy greyish leaves. Well, obviously I have been remiss in keeping up with the hybridisation of this species. It was such a surprise when I saw the first open flower.

Yesterday the neighbour lady called me over to see her little prize, growing in the canal. It was what we call, “Zwanenbloem” (Butomas umbellatus), and up until a couple of years ago it was on the protected list. The neighbour lady made a cute little sign for this cute little water plant. This plant developed spontaneously.

F14BB0C7-B8A4-494F-ABEB-92E6F2AD942A.jpeg

My Rosa ‘ Westerland’ is showing off at the moment and I have to hustle a bit to keep up with the deadheading.
    15700F89-ACE2-4217-8F13-A4F167D93E8F.jpeg

The wisteria has finally finished but was an overwhelming beauty at its height.
    9F01C099-92D5-4E19-B9F2-E6E82CA51326.jpeg

Of course the toms are growing away in their protective greenhouse. However this means that we must keep up with their progress. They have to be watered, fed, suckered and pruned regularly. They have been suckered several times already. The pruning began a couple of weeks ago, when I removed the lowest leaves at ground level. Now it is time for the first serious prune job.

The first leaves fall:
    DAA0F13E-5E44-4642-A062-77A618543DB1.jpeg

The results:
    30B18AE2-9524-4045-9917-AD9BF5CFE9DF.jpeg

B6262466-7721-487B-983E-9F1E7ADD2820.jpeg

If you look closely on that last foto you can see what happened to the comfrey mulch. It just sort of dissolves onto and into the soil. It is time for another layer.

You know, last week we were watching Gardeners’ World and saw that Adam Frost was working with a trug like we use, right down to the broken handles. When the poor man was finished with his segment he walked away with his trug full of things carrying it under his arm, on his hip.

My Bride said that she could not rest until she had sent him a foto and explanation of how he could fix that problem. We never do such things, but she did it. Here’s the trug with the new handles. We punched holes through the plastic and knotted two lengths of cow twine, and Bob’s yer uncle ! Simple and easy.
    B8FCFFDE-C2BF-4F44-B003-53365457B14F.jpeg

BTW, you can see on that blue one where I was a bit enthusiastic when chopping the comfrey with the hedge-clippers to make the comfrey tea.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
  2. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

1ST. I LOVE the beautiful rose!
    2ND. I just decided I must try denuding (Trimming away branches)a few tomato plants. It will hurt me more than the plants I'm sure. I have 6 lovely Black Krim tomato plants which I rooted from suckers. It appears you cut away any foliage below the first group of tomatoes?

Sjoerd likes this.
  3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks for the rose compliment, GP. It took me a long time to find that one. I like it so much...the Bride is not a fan of the thorns though. Chuckle.

As for the tom pruning— yes everything below the first tomes go, as well as any thick build-up of foliage. This brings the question of what we are trying to accomplish here with all this removal therapy.

What I want to do is to remove the branches to allow more air flow and to allow more nutrients and “energy” to go the the production of more flowers and fruits.

Later on I will probably have to remove more foliage if things become too congested as the plants grow taller.

Cayuga Morning and Growingpains like this.
  4. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Makes sense. I shall need to become accustomed slowly.
    I'm working on it!

Sjoerd likes this.

Advertisement
  5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Here’s wishing you strength.
    Good luck with this big step, mate.
    Let me know how things work out, willya.

Cayuga Morning and Growingpains like this.
  6. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Sjoerd, I will keep my effort posted.
    Chances are I will do a few but not the 40 or so.
    (Who am I kidding?)

Sjoerd likes this.
  7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Nah, that is way too many.
    I shall keep my eyes open for your updates. Good luck.

8. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Just did the garden walk in a gentle, but chill rain. Nothing that cannot wait until tomorrow to be picked, weeded, adjusted (As in cucumber runners). One zucchini threatens to grow beyond the usual picking stage.
    We have taken up most of the potatoes. Only two hills left. I only had two rows. A summer with no potatoes growing seems just plain wrong.
    The rain will bring about a sudden spurt of growth for certain.

Sjoerd likes this.
  9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I harvested half of my spuds and they were awful. A disappointing season this year.

Growingpains likes this.
  10. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Sjoerd, I dislike clicking like, so forgive me.
    Our plants put out plenty, I harvested too soon.
    Except for two hills.

Sjoerd likes this.
  11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

No worries about klikking on a misfortune—I know what you mean.
    Were your early harvested spuds too small for your liking?

Growingpains likes this.
  12. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Sjoerd, there were large potatoes, but also tiny ones, the reason I replanted one stalk and left the other to finish growing.

Sjoerd likes this.
  13. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Rain rain rain. I know things will just jump out of the ground once we get some sun (weeds included!).

14. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Cayuga, you're Spot on. Weeds are so abundant, I wish they were the edible type,

Sjoerd and Cayuga Morning like this.