Potato Soup

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by Daniel W, Nov 11, 2022.

1. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

I remember, when I was a teenager (when mastodons were roaming the prairies), sitting in the kitchen while my mom made potato soup. I don't have a recipe but this is the general idea.

Two medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4 " thick slices and quartered.
    One medium onion, diced.
    One clove of garlic, smashed.
    Some olive oil.
    Some milk, maybe 1/4 cup
    Salt, pepper to taste.

Saute onions in large soup pan. When they are clear and tender, add the garlic, then add the potatoes, enough water to cover (about 1 1/2 cups). Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer about 15 min. The potatoes will start to fragment and the soup will thicken. Add salt (about 1/2 tsp) pepper (about 1/4 tsp) to taste. Add some milk for flavor and protein.

That's all. Nothing needs to be precise. If you want your potatoes in chunks, you can cook for shorter time. You can add some sliced celery, or shredded carrots, or sauteed mushrooms, but my mom never did that.

I made this soup twice this week. It's very filling and satisfying, and heats you up from the inside. It's almost easier than making soup from a can. I think my mom may have used a teaspoon of garlic powder instead of actual garlic. She might also have added a teaspoon or two of margarine.

A bowl of potato soup and a side of scrambled eggs, make a filling and satisfying lunch.

Dirtmechanic, Logan, Sjoerd and 5 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

This sounds great Daniel. My oldest girl just called last week for my Potato Soup recipe - mine is comparible to yours - except with often being careful with fresh milk I would use Evap. It was always a "go to" when they were unwell or if we were stuck inside. I have never thought of a side of scrambled eggs for protien...good idea! I think this may make it to Hubby's lunch menu this week :)

Logan, Pacnorwest, Daniel W and 2 others like this.
  4. mart

mart Strong Ash

Just like my recipe except I did use garlic powder instead of fresh. Even better if you add about a half cup of cheese,,American or shredded mild cheddar ! I usually have sandwich sliced American so about 4 or 5 slices pinched off and added til melted ! Think I used a cup of milk or thereabout !

Daniel W and Pacnorwest like this.
  5. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

Also great to add cream instead of milk and Mexican crema. And the best onions around ask Daniel… walla walla onions so good, only grown in a area in the state of Washington.

Daniel W likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

It all sounds so good, Daniel. You come up with good things in the kitchen.

Pacnorwest and Daniel W like this.
  7. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

My potato soup is different. I make 6 quarts at a time, because when my boys were growing up, they ate like a small Army.

I fill my pot with fresh potatoes, then wash and peel them, and cut into chunks and put them on to boil.

While they are boiling, I grate a carrot or two, and dice an onion to add. I add some cooking oil (or butter if one prefers) also. I add some parsley, and garlic.

When the potatoes are tender, I add some milk, and some mashed potato flakes to thicken it. If desired, some velveeta cheese is nice. I quit eating cheese, so no longer do that part.

Another thing I like in mine is those tiny alphabet noodles.

Daniel W likes this.
  8. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Are those Walla Walla onions good and strong and make you cry? I love the good strong kind that make you cry.

Grocery stores seem to only have the tasteless sweet onions nowadays.

9. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

I think they are quite mild. For stronger onions, I prefer to grow my own.

AAnightowl likes this.
  10. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

@Daniel W, where do you get seed or sets for stronger onions? Around here all they have are those silly sweet onions. :(

11. LandynRoth

LandynRoth New Seed

Your potato soup recipe takes me back to cozy kitchen memories with my grandma. There's something special about simple, hearty dishes like this. I bet it's deliciously comforting! Speaking of wholesome additions, I recently tried incorporating goat whey protein into my post-workout smoothies. It adds a creamy texture and packs a punch of protein without overpowering the taste.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2024
  12. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

I grow from seeds. This year im growing Red Wethersfield and a yellow long keeping hybrid, I forget the name.

13. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

Thank you and Welcome!

Food is a great memory. The smells and tastes make it like being there.