Pottery and Porcelain.

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Crafts' started by Sydney Smith, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi all. Anyone have an interest and collect it??. Blue and white, floral - transfer printed or painted - crockery, figures whatever?.

Moderator's note: added a more descriptive title to topic

2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Syd, it is amazing how our interests coincide! I dearly love, and have collected, Albany Slip pottery for years. It was made by winter potters (farmers who had access to clay and a wheel, and during the off-months potted). Most was made in upstate NY, some in Connecticut and Vermont. The slip (coloring glaze) used came from Albany, NY, thus the name Albany Slip. It is brown with a pearlescent shine to it. My husband swore that the closer a piece of Albany Slip got to our house, the higher the price rose!
    I also have two pieces of transfer ware--a teapot and a small plate. I love them both, but transfer ware was out of my price range so I don't have more.
    May we see some of your collection?

4. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Syd,..with me its Blue Glassware,..Bottles and Dishes.

Hoping you post some of your collection,..and Jane do post some of yours as well.

5. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi Jane - Philip - all.
    Jane.
    I am delighted that we have interests in common, gives us something to have a talk about which is always good. Sadly my other topics have all dried up with a post from myself so what else I have to say therein must wait until a further post, if at all. Your collection sounds most interesting and its something I have not seen so please send pics and tell all about it - also the transfer ware you have. Ref P and P I have been an avid collector for last 20+ years and fortunately was able to collect a lot before TV programmes etc got everybody into looking for it as well as much more - a lot of it of course with a view to making profits - mine was and still is solely for the love not only of looking at it but also studying it and the potters who made it. I have some European and Chinese/Japanese but its mostly British made and goes back to early 19th century Spode, Minton, Davenport, Masons etc right through from these "bigger" names to all the other many many wonderful but smaller and lesser known potters at work - into the 20th cent. Blue and white transfer printed ware of the scenery type patterns predominates but theres also floral and other.
    It always was and still is pricey but before it "caught on" generally there was a lot about which was lower priced with slight (chips etc) and even major damage. I loved to carefully repair this and have them on display - again I stress value does not come into it with me - its just lovely to look at. I have quite a lot of it and will be delighted to send pics - hopefully there's enough interest to enable me to post a good selection. I have a few plates which years ago were broken and put back together again (before the days of modern adhesives) with copper staples - will tell of this and send a pic or two of plates thus repaired - I have with adhesives "reassembled" a number myself - one was in sixteen pieces. My books collection has many on this subject and includes a copy of Jewitts " The Ceramic Art of Great Britain" (a treasure) and individual books on many potteries - several by Geoffrey Godden and including he's marks book. Looking forward to all this and having more (as always) pleasant talks with you. My great love would be to be able to afford some 18th cent Chelsea, Derby, Worcester etc but its way out of my reach. With this pottery and porcelain as with my gardening and other interests I am not an expert and would never claim to be. What little knowledge I have has just come from experiences and much reading/studying. Looking forward to others joining in also.
    Philip.
    Good to talk to you also and hear you have this interest. I mainly concentrate on P and P as stated but do have a number of older moulded glass pieces, dishes etc and also did at one time have a variety of coloured bottles (a story there) - these stood on a window sill to allow sunlight to show up their colours - that blue always was a great favourite. Perhaps you will send some pics for us all to see.
    Regards. Syd.

Advertisement
  6. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Sydney,..ah yes i know all about the dried up posts lol,..it happens to us all,..however i often wait for a long spell and activate that thread when it seems nobody has kept it alive.

So you also started with blue glass bottles,..i did the same as you by placing them in the window,..they look so good with the light shining through,..now i have placed some of mine on a shelf with the light doing the same,..below are some of my blues,..however not all as i have no room for many and boxed them.

[​IMG]
    Approx 6 inches high. ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Everyone must have one of these. ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Fill with water and float a candle. ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

[​IMG]
    8 inches high. ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

[​IMG]
    12 inches across,..Swedish Glass. ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Big enough for a kitten. ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

[​IMG]
    I have lots of these,..some 18 inches high. ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Blues and greens. ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Eggs of course. ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Oops a dusty dolphin. ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Cat size bottle. ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

eileen, dooley, Henry Johnson and 4 others like this.
  7. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi Philip-Jane-all. Philip thank you for the comment and the pics. What a wonderful selection and just part of your many items - would like to see some more please. Amongst these the 18 inch tall ones are they storage/bottling jars ?. Lovely blues all of them - it is my favourite colour in whatever. Love the way you have them displayed in order to show off their form and colour to best advantage. This collecting bug really gets into you and oh the great joy on finding something new to add to it all.
    Ref my bottles I have few now but here's a little story of how it began - At the time I worked on a new site right out on the outskirts of a village and the company prospering they decided to add a further large building just away's a little. On digging out the foundations/site for this it was discovered that the area had been a 20's/30's/40's rubbish tip/infill site. Down and down they went with the bulldozers and of course whilst this was happening a mass of bottles, broken pottery and much else was found - I joined in the hunt and found lots including old green Lemonade bottles with the ball stoppers in their necks, brown jars and several blue bottles. Apart from the items themselves it was so interesting to see all these old product names reappearing. I have a green bottle (as mentioned) to hand and will send a pic. Nice to be talking this way - lets keep it going pse.
    Here's some of my items - will send them in lots with these first being a cabinet of all sorts and blue and white plates all 19th cent. Then clobbered plates - cups and saucers - some Chinese hand painted blue and white with main pattern on front but some on the rear also. To keep them going I will need a comment after each posting to enable me to send the others. Hope you like them. Syd.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Sydney Smith's Garden )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

eileen, Jewell, Donna S and 5 others like this.
  8. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Wow Sydney,..you have a great collection in that cabinet,..all shapes and sizes,..i notice you broke into some other than blues,..well i did likewise when looking for blues,..you come across an item with a good appearance plus the Hallmark and going at a reasonable price,..you can not resist when bitten by the bug,.. :D .

That rubbish dump was a great discovery,..finding those bottles with ball stoppers was a trip into the past as they are very hard to come by these days.

I like your blue plates,..interesting to see Willow Pattern,..and the Asiatic Pheasants,..its hard to come across the latter,..i used to have several large carving dishes,..blues and pinks,..in willow and Asiatic Pheasants but had to sell them to an Antique Shop when i was going to live abroad.

Some of my blues.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jewell, AAnightowl and Cayuga Morning like this.
  9. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Oh, wow, how gorgeous! The blueware and the glassware are stunning, Syd and Philip.
    I hesitate to post photos of my plain brown pottery, but here goes:

[​IMG]
    Ovoid Albany Slip jug ( photo / image / picture from marlingardener's Garden )
    This is an ovoid Albany Slip jug, thrown about 1840 (the shape went out of fashion shortly after that).

[​IMG]
    Field jug ( photo / image / picture from marlingardener's Garden )
    This field jug has only one opening, the spout, which was plugged with a corn cob. These jugs were carried to the field filled with cool water or "switchel" a barley water drink for the field hands. Since they have no other earthly use, not many survived, and are relatively rare.

[​IMG]
    Batter jug ( photo / image / picture from marlingardener's Garden )
    This batter jug would easily hold two quarts of batter. When you were feeding a large (or very hungry) family, it came in handy for making pancakes, cornbread, any of the batter breads. There is a "tip handle" at the base, because filled, it was so heavy you needed both hands to tip it and pour batter. The lid is tin.

[​IMG]
    Tobacco spit jug ( photo / image / picture from marlingardener's Garden )
    Despite its name, this glaze does not have tobacco spit in it, nor is the jug used for holding spit! There were impurities, mainly copper in the clay used for the glaze, and to someone it looked like tobacco spit (I can't imagine anyone examining spit, but times were simpler then) and it got the name. This isn't Albany Slip but I thought you might enjoy seeing something that wasn't unrelievedly brown.

10. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi Philip. Good to see you are also into blue and white in addition to blues only. Like yourself I have a lot of this stuff and some still out in the garage boxed up from when we moved here three and half years ago. I have three other cabinets with much in them plus plates on the walls. Lack of space for one thing and inconvenience for another are reasons why only a selected few can be displayed. I have always gone for any nice attractive patterns regardless of colours and am also fond of florals. Oldest two items I have are 18th cent - a Chamberlains Worcester hand painted plate (bought in 11 pieces and carefully put back together so as to be presentable for display and admiration - and a Chamberlains large tea cup but no saucer sadly. Have a good selection of cups and saucers in blue and white and also clobbered - speaking of clobbering my next pics are all such - again just a selection, the hand colour painting on the transfer printed patterns really sets them off I feel. I did say that damage was not a problem to me since value does not come into it - I can tidy them up to look at, enjoy and study. Most interesting to find a nice piece with no back mark at all, possibly just a pattern number and search all the books to see if it can be identified - also looking in Antique shops, apart from the interest serves the same purpose.
    So heres a few clobbered plates and then I will send cups and saucers followed by some nice Chinese plates and bits and pieces - one in particular is a gem. Hope you like these.
    Jane. My apologies - somehow missed your post - willcomment on your items next post. Syd.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Syd, you display (pun intended :D ) great artistry in the arrangement of your lovely items. It is such a pleasure to see your collection, and admire each piece.
    Please, I'm not familiar with the term "clobbered". What does it mean?

12. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Syd,..those plates are beauties and the design is so fresh and clear,..oh boy another cabinet of goodies,..very nice collection as well,..its nice to put together again something that is in pieces and admire it all over again,..great rescue.

=====================================================

Hi Jane,..interesting collection of ye olde jugs,..i love them,..i sold a collection of Luster Jugs way back,..copper coloured outside with blue band and light blue inside,..you more than likely know the type,..your jugs are very old and very rare,..beautiful to see.

13. mart

mart Strong Ash

She may mean cobbeled instead of clobbered. I was often clobbered (hit) by my cousins. That is the southern meaning. When you clobber someone you knock the tar out of them. Cobbeled means "put back together". Perhaps thats what was meant. Of course in the UK could be different.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  14. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Jane I love your jugs. I have always been an admirer of regional pottery.

Sydney what an impressive collection of china.

Philip your blue glass is definitely eye candy.

I have a few pieces of flow blue pieces that have been a perennial favorite of mine. They were seconds from my grandmother. She had a huge collection hanging in her kitchen. I also grew up with a few pieces of southwest tourist pottery that were always displayed in our home when I was growing up. My mother loved everything Native American and Western hence a weird assortment including baskets, Inuet dolls and other little collectables. I added a couple of pieces of inexpensive Mexican pottery out of nostalgia. It makes for a very eclectic collection since my grandmother, mom, and myself and my husband's grandmother and mom were totally different in our likes. I am unfortunately not as good as I should be at getting rid of hand-me-down stuff. Worse yet I have my own collections of mid century pottery.

There is my own collection of 40s and 50s donkeys, and cats with grandmothers clock.

What isn't pictured is my even tackier mix of 40's and 50's figural lamps. For some strange reason I like tacky old over sleek new. My grandmother would be horrified, but then again maybe she would totally understand.

[​IMG]
    Crazy mixture of multiple generations of collections ( photo / image / picture from Jewell's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Southwest/Mexican ollas and Christmas decorations ( photo / image / picture from Jewell's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Cat planters and tea pot with donkey salt and peppers and planters ( photo / image / picture from Jewell's Garden )

15. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Jane-Philip-mart-jewell.
    Hi all. Thanks so much for the interesting comments and also all the pics of your collections - this is such an interesting subject I think and with so many variations to talk about. I would love to see more and more and also to send more pics of my own - I can give details of most of the pics .
    Firstly to answer Janes comment ref "clobbering" - well as mart says it is slangwise used to represent walloping something or someone - beat the tar out of them he said. The P and P meaning of it is the touching in by hand painting of additional colours onto a one coloured transfer printed item - say a blue printed floral plate - the flowers and leaves are after the printing coloured green yellow etc - thats it and I love to see it.
    Jane. Love your pottery - its really good and has that old lovingly hand made look about it - at risk of sounding a little strange I bet its nice to handle also. I am going to look it all up on the PC and read what ever I can about it so as to be able to talk to you better.
    jewell. Another gardening pottery and porcelain lover - good to see you with us. Your displays are great and love the flow blue - I have a few plates thus tucked away somewhere but have forgotten how the potters actually achieved it in production - will have to refresh my memory - a very vague tinkling in my head suggests throwing a chemical (whatever) into the kiln whilst firing. Will as I said look it up.
    I will sort the cups and saucers this morning and send pics of them next post. Would also like to send the pics of the Chinese wares and a few comparisons also between Willow patterns (which I love and have some nice old examples) - such as comparing the old printing with the latter years stuff. Would be good to keep this going a whiles so that we can all add more. Many thanks and see you later.
    I am editing this and sending first batch of cups and saucers now. Syd.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jewell, Donna S, Philip Nulty and 2 others like this.
  16. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I love everyone's pottery collections, even the plain brown ones ! They are all lovely and interesting.

I collect pottery and glassware also. Mostly, I am into the blue and white ware, but I have pastels, greens, and pinks too. I like to use the old mismatched dishes under my flower pots. It really adds to their beauty too. I even have some brown pieces, but not likely as old as the ones here.

I guess I need to get busy and take some pictures of my collections.

One favorite, is a pale blue and pink bean pot from the early 1800s? It has a small chip inside the rim and the lid is gone, so I got it for only $3 which I thought a real bargain.

Q. Do you all ditch pottery or dishes if they have a crack or a chip? I rarely do. I think it gives them character, and yes, I do eat off of them. A few friends have been telling me you can get sick eating from cracked and chipped dishes? [And I am saving the broken pottery and glass to make some mosaic projects some day. That was an idea that I saw someplace, who knows where now.]

Philip Nulty and Cayuga Morning like this.