Price of eggs

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by marlingardener, Mar 12, 2016.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

A neighbor stopped by to visit, and I offered her a dozen eggs as she was leaving. She wanted to pay for them! I told her my pets happened to lay eggs, and she was welcome to the overflow.
    She called later that week, saying her son from Dallas was visiting, and wanted to buy some of our eggs. It seems farm eggs, raised organically, are selling for $5 a dozen in Dallas! When I got by breath back and picked myself up off the floor, I told her her son was welcome to a dozen I had in the fridge but he certainly wasn't going to pay for them.
    I can't believe anyone would pay $5 for a dozen eggs! What is the cost of farm eggs in your area now?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Clay_22
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. marlingardener
      Replies:
      Views:

3. mart

mart Strong Ash

Well, hang on to your drawers,, a couple of months ago they were almost $7. for the 18 count here. Not organic either,, just same old cold storage eggs. Because of having to put down so many diseased chickens up north. I forget what the disease was. That was at the grocery store.
    I buy mine from our nephew and they are big brown eggs $2. a dozen. I buy three dozen a week,,just in case. Of course you know that as soon as you stick an "organic" label on something, the price in metro area doubles.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Most likely those pricey eggs were at Whole Foods, they usually jack-up prices for the organic yuppies who will pay that for them. Kroger has some organic eggs from Egglands Best that are just a little over $3 a dozen, that's what we buy.

5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Yep, Jane... 5.00 a dzn is normal in the "organic" stores... maybe even more. I actually sell mine for 3.50 a dzn. I have one customer who takes 6 dzn every monday morning. Faithfully! it is her main diet because of all of her food allergies. She pays more than that for them when I don't have enough during the Winter.

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

We pay £2.50p or appoximately $3.59 for a dozen eggs over here and they are really large eggs. We only buy from a farmer who has free range chickens.

7. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

And I have about 60 customers, some guy every week and some buy every other week. I call them or text them on Wednesday and pack them up in the evening and hand deliver them to their houses beginning 7:30 on Thursday. I charge $3.00 now for in the spring I was charging $2.50. The stores were selling them for $5.00 and I thought I was half of that... Not anymore. I will stay at $3.00 now.

BTW, I have my chicken corral covered with a tarp and during bird migration time I change my boots at the door of the corral. We don't walk across our property and use the same shoes to go into where the chickens are. No matter if we have the avian virus in our area or not....I will take no chances with my crew..
    chickens1.jpg

In the fall after migration is over, we have to take the tarp off or the snow would collapse it.

carolyn likes this.
  8. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I pay $3 a dozen for farm fresh eggs here. My daughter keeps trying to convince me that we need to raise chickens and I keep telling her that Mom doesn't need anything else to take care of!

Henry Johnson and waretrop like this.
  9. eclecticgarden

eclecticgarden Seedling

The average price at our local farmer's market is $4.00 a dozen.

10. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

At the store we are paying 99 cents right now for a dozen, they seem to be on sale at quite a few places. Kwik Trip (gas station) has them on sale quite a bit for that price. I haven't looked anywhere else for organic or from the farm, I just buy where I find bargains.