Prim's posies and projects

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Primsong, May 8, 2006.

1. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

Thought I might put up a few pictures from my yard here, I've so enjoyed being able to see what other folks have. :-D

[​IMG]

This rather leggy azalea opened up all at once yesterday and I thought it made a nice contrast with the columbine and bluebells beneath it.

[​IMG]

The peonies are almost ready to bloom amid the candytuft. The blooms were so huge last year the chickenwire hoops I had were tipped over right along with the plants, so this year they are anchored with green grow-through hoops that are hidden by the leaves. We'll see how they do!

[​IMG]

The grape arbor is just beginning to leaf out again - I love the colors that the baby leaves have.

[​IMG]

My littlest apple tree - I was amused at the way it cranked out the blossoms this year, as if it were trying to prove something to the bigger trees.

:-D

one more...

[​IMG]

This is along my front walk, at the base of the steps that go up to the house. I just loved the way all the columbine comes up in so many colors. The lilies aren't opened up yet, but are big and strong - the irises are just beginning. I have strawberries for the groundcover all along the front, so that's the little pink blooms.

2. Loading...

3. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

Man, My yard looks nothing like yours! I want to be just like you when I grow up!

Lovely pics!

4. Pianolady

Pianolady In Flower

Lovely! Thanks for sharing your photos. I love seeing what everyone else is doing.

5. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

I have one pink columbine. Did you plant different colors or do they change.? I love your pictures. My garden doesn't look like that and I spend lots of time at it. I guess my thumb isn't very green. Dooley

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Oh that is sooooo my kind of garden Prim!!! Beautiful. Love it, love it, love It. :D I need MORE piccies though - pretty please. :-D

7. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Gorgeous just gorgeous PS :setc_089: You sure look like you have some fantastic weather there :eek: I agree with you about the contrast in the first photos, very eye-catching.

More, more!

8. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

They'll cross-pollinate with one another if you plant different varieties to produce some variations, but I also have put in a variety of kinds. Seems like I'm always finding some little plant and going "ooo!" and adding it to the rest.

And I'm sure your thumb is perfectly green! I just happen to live in a very green, temperate place and use a lot of perennials and bulbs. A lot of my property has almost nothing growing on it, as a contrast, because of the huge doug firs so I have a lot concentrated in the front.

9. jubabe296

jubabe296 Official Garden Fairy

Beautiful!!!! Great photos!!!

10. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

To give you an idea of what I mean by it all being in the front (and slightly to the sides) here's a shot of the back yard...

[​IMG]

We have a friend who is helping design some changes back here, though, so hopefully we'll start filling some of it in a bit, especially between us and the new development to one side. This is actually an old picture - we've changed the sizes on most of those windows so they are all larger now.

11. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

I see what you mean about all of the stuff being out front Primsong :D Your house looks great by the way. You are so lucky to have surrounding trees, I think they can make or break a great looking property.

12. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

I love my trees - never had such nice big ones before.

A couple more shots from this week - an overview of some of the irises coming up in the front now...

[​IMG]

A couple favorites among them:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a peek at my foxgloves some of which are now as tall as myself -

[​IMG]

My miniature roses are blooming now too, but the pictures I took looked too blurry to be of any good use.

13. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

Back yard indeed! When we in England talk of a back yard, it is a small space at the rear of a small house. Yours is more like and estate! Wow and wow some more! Fantastic. I am seriously jealous! Great photos, keep 'em coming!

14. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

We have plenty of homes here with tiny backyards too, so I know what you mean...I am so very glad I have room to work with.

Last year I was given a columbine as a gift because it is called "Red Hobbit" and my Tolkien fandom being known, it was considered a given that I would have some in my yard, heh...

Well, it bloomed! Must be called 'hobbit' because it's the shortest columbine around, but it sure is pretty:

[​IMG]

Also, my Red Hot Pokers are coming up! I have two bunches of them...

[​IMG]

And my assorted rhododendrons continue to bloom - tell me, are they common in other areas? They are native here and bloom wild in the woods, so I'm not sure how much you see them elsewhere.

[​IMG]

:setc_092:

15. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Oh that 'Red Hobbit' is sooooo lovely and I really like your foxgloves. My dwarf rhododenron's flowers are all past now but my 'normal' one is just coming into flower. At last I have buds on my iris so I'll post piccies when they flower but somehow I just know they won't be as beautiful as yours.

16. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

I know yours will be just as lovely, Eileen, if only because of all the affection you lavish upon them.

My first lot of peonies all bright and red have blown to piles of wet petals but the pink ones are just opening now -

[​IMG]

They are so huge and heavy I have to lift them up, I guess I need to stake them.

The other new delight for me is the canterbury bells, I have mostly blue and a few white ones, they bloom so long and are always such a pretty color, adding the blue/purple back to the yard now that the bluebells are gone -

[​IMG]

What will come next? :smt051