Purple Houseplants?

Discussion in 'Houseplants' started by fish_4_all, Nov 17, 2008.

1. fish_4_all

fish_4_all In Flower

Really easy, doesn't matter what kind, all I want is a purple houseplant or two. My wife and I both love purple and would be kinda cool to have a purple monstrosity to really show it. Anything with true purple colors would be perfect regardless of how big it gets. Only requirement is that it doesn't need a ton of sun. Even if I find a sunny spot to put it the weather here won't be sunny til March. :-|

2. Loading...

3. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I have this MONSTER plant in my office window that I'll send you a start off of. It is some kind of a wandering Jew (I think). I smuggled it home from Atlanta about 6 years ago. In the summer I plant it outside and in the winter I move it inside. I think it's called Purple Heart, our Southern gardeners will know what it is. It blooms with tiny pinkish flowers.
    In my climate (Oregon) it is a container plant/house plant. In the Georgia mountains they planted it right in the flower bed!! Send some postage and I'll send her your way ;)
    Deanna

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Setcresea pallida...Wandering Jew or Purple Heart.
    Will do well in semi-shade or full sun. It very rarely reproduces from seed but does very well from cuttings.

5. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

The Coleus plants are often found with purple shades.

Advertisement
  6. fish_4_all

fish_4_all In Flower

I have Coleus seeds waiting for a place to be planted. I actually had a huge planter full of purple ones that I started from clippings. then my cat decided she wanted to spot it was in worse and it took a nosedive. Tried to save most of them but it was days before I found it. Gonna do that again soon but I want something that is a little larger and grows larger faster.

I have been reading up on the Purple Heart and it sounds like a winner for me. Easy to take care of and very easy to propagate.

Can't wait, TYVM stratsmom.

More ideas welcome though. Anyone know of a purple house plant tree/shrub type plant?

7. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I believe Dracena can be found in purple too. And Croton.

8. fish_4_all

fish_4_all In Flower

Mrs. Robinson
    This is a cool looking Croton, thank you for the heads up. Although it is multi colored and changes colors it is purple in some stages. Does anyone know much about it from experience?

9. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

It need bright light to keep the colors alive. Keep it in a shaded area and it will be all green! But you might want to 'google' to find out more information about it. ;)

10. fish_4_all

fish_4_all In Flower

BEGONIA CHERRIES AND CHOCOLATE

I found a little bit about it but nothing on what it takes tomake the colors come out. Anyone know more about it or seen it before?

Remember, low light/artificial light will be key for the next 6 months for anything being purple in my house. I know artificial light won't work best but it will at least keep nice color until it is warm enough to put them outside or get enough sun through the windows to turn them bright purple.

11. CritterPainter

CritterPainter Awed by Nature

Well I went off googling and still I'll probably have to wait until I remember this in the middle of the night, a purple-leafed houseplant that is super-easy to start from tip cuttings... something like purple velvet? Poo, I can't dredge it up.
    But anyhow, I did find a web page full of interesting purple houseplants at http://www.glasshouseworks.com/colorpurple.html
    Although, frankly, giant purple plants seems a bit radical for Aberdeen, lol! (I'm just down the road a ways north of Rochester, btw!)

12. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I have lots of Purple wondering Jew.I call it Moses in a Boat.It is out side all time in the shade or in the sun it doesn't matter here it stays purple.

13. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

What about the plant that folds up at night? Is it a prayer plant? I use to have one, but no idea what the name is. :-? Does anyone else know what I am talking about?

14. fish_4_all

fish_4_all In Flower

Now you see why I said it had to be a low light plant or something that would fine under artificial lighting! Not enough sun for us the next 6 months to get a tan line let alone a sunburn. :stew2:

15. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Is it some kind of an oxallis, with pink blossoms?

16. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I have a purple Oxallis and it closes at night and has a little lilac or pink bloom.It will grow outside or inside here and likes shade of morning sun.