Purple spots spreading on herbs?

Discussion in 'Plant Pests, Diseases and Weeds' started by kensclark15, May 24, 2012.

1. kensclark15

kensclark15 New Seed

Last year I had my whole chocolate mint plant destroyed by it but this year it came back strong but it's getting it again. Also, there are purple spots all over my scutellaria latiaflora (skullcap) they start as purple spots then the leaf will turn either white/yellow or red. To test if it was a fungus, I touched one of the spots then touched my catnip. I noticed the spots on my catnip exactly where I touched it. I'm spraying an anti fungal spray with sulfur in it on them and I don't know if that will work. It is supposed to rain here for a week or more. What can I do? I don't want to loose my plants I spent a bunch of money on. I don't know if this is related, but on the bottom of a leaf on my skullcap, there is this web covering the bottom with something in the middle.

2. Loading...

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Ken, do you have a picture of either part of this question? does the web look like dust on the leaf or an actual spider making an egg sac there? You could just pick it off if that is the only leaf affected. not sure about the purple. I saw a plant in my garden as I was weeding that had intense purple eruptions all over the leaf. I have no idea what it was and evidently, neither does anyone else. I pulled it and tossed it, since it was a weed. So If you could give us a looksee it may be helpful.

4. fish_4_all

fish_4_all In Flower

This may not help much but I helped one of my mints recover from something similar last year. I still don't know what caused it but I transplanted the orange mint into a larger container stocked full of compost and a good slow release nitrogen rich fertilizer. Within a couple month it was thriving with no signs of problems, except for aphids which is a whole other story.

So based on my experience a nutrient shortage could be the culprit.

Only other thing I have found is possibly a rust infection.

Pictures will help the experts here identify the problem, haven't a better bunch to help with gardening problems.

5. kensclark15

kensclark15 New Seed

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Advertisement
  6. fish_4_all

fish_4_all In Flower

I have done some more research and found some more information.

You might need to re-pot the plants as they may have become root bound. That kind of goes along with what helped my mint plants as I went from a small maybe 2 quart pot to a 1.5 gallon container.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load ... 27494.html

That might help and shows the same type of problems you are seeing on yours.

I know someone will have much better advice once they see the images later.

7. kensclark15

kensclark15 New Seed

This is a fungal problem because it spreads by leaves touching. How can I solve it during the rain.

8. fish_4_all

fish_4_all In Flower

I apologize for not being more clear, has been a long month for me. I think there is the possibility that the plant is stressed out making it more susceptible to disease. Possibly eliminating the stress might help it fight off the fungal problem or grow fast enough that you can remove the problem leaves and eliminate the problem.

Just trying to help with my limited knowledge.