Question about Bar Handles

Discussion in 'Home Improvement, DIY and Repair' started by JohnMiller007, Jul 24, 2006.

1. JohnMiller007

JohnMiller007 New Seed

I hope I posted this in the right place - I'm hoping to renovate my kitchen starting in the next couple of days and I was wondering if anybody could help me out with an issue regarding handles. I've decided upon using bar handles for the new look, but could anybody recommend me a 'reasonable' price that I should look to be paying for a 12 inch bar handle? After looking into this over the last few days, the price differences I have seen have had me wondering what price I really should be paying.

Concerning the handles I had in mind, I noticed that some are stainless steel and some are plated steel. Is it worth spending the extra money for the stainless steel as opposed to the plated sttel? I'm not trying to skimp on the kitchen but I don't want to pay lots more for something that isn't much better.

Any help would be really appreciated.

2. Loading...

3. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I don't know much about this kind of thing but Wouldn't the plateing wear off before to many years and on the stainless steel it wouldn't on anything plated I find it wears bad after a few years.I don't know about handles but your hands would be rubbing it lots.

4. TradeHandles

TradeHandles New Seed

There are loads of different companies making these bar handles at the moment. At the end of the day as with everything you get what you pay for. As a rough guide pay between £3 and £6 for a 12inch handle 12mm or 14mm diameter.

There are a few different methods of manufacture also. Some come with the mounting stubs attached either screwed in or pressed in probably steer clear of the pressed in ones. Others come with the mounting stubs separate, with these the screws go through the door then the stub and screw into the main handle, these are ok also.

The best way is to look at them, buy some samples if you are going to fork out a few hundred quid.

With regard to materials, a good plated handle is just as good as a stainless one. Some plated handles come lacquered which gives another layer of protection and a nice sheen.

If you can, get stainless they usually are more expensive. Just make sure whatever you buy don't use anything but a damp cloth to clean them. Soaps and detergents have salt in them which will affect the finish.