Question about Clematis

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by wacomac, Apr 27, 2008.

1. wacomac

wacomac New Seed

Question about Clematis. I will they do well in filter sun? I really would like to find a vine I could train on a trellis next to a shed. I'm in 7b zone. I know there are Clematis for all zones. thanks

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. AAnightowl
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. 2ofus
      Replies:
      Views:

3. trudy

trudy In Flower

I have 3 in filtered sun now for over 2 years that do quiet well. The heat here is so intense, probably same for you that if they were in full sun it would probably kill them. I also have 2 of those 3 in large containers cuz my soil here is compact clay most everywhere in my yard. Go for it!

4. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

My mother's got a clematis growing up a birch, and it thrives. It's one of the bell-flowering, very early ones. Our zone is also USDA 7.

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

The one thing to remember is that clematis like cool roots so you could plant in the shade but allow it access to sunlight and whatever one you choose should be fine. :stew1:

6. budagardener

budagardener Seedling

I am in zone 8 and have my Miss Bateman (photo posted earlier) in full sun. When I lived outside Dallas, I had 18 varieties growing and all of them where exposed to full sun.

It is very important to have the root system cool, so I mulched them well and there where perennials and small shrubs planted close by for shade on the lowest stem parts. They all thrived, so don't be afraid to try them.

The link below is where I had purchased several of them, but most of them where bareroot on the internet and Home Depot. You can get a one or two year bareroot for under $10.

http://www.chalkhillclematis.com/