Question about Knautia and Phlox blooms

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Jewell, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    I am growing Knautia and phlox and this is the first year that they have really put on the blooms.

My question is how can I best maintain their blooms and keep them blooming. My son and fiance are having an outdoor engagement party here in mid August and I would like to have as many blooms as possible in the yard.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Jewell's Garden )

[​IMG]
    pink phlox ( photo / image / picture from Jewell's Garden )

Thanks for any input. :stew1:

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Lillium_Lover
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. AAnightowl
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

You've got me curious now, Jewell. Is there a way to keep the blooms for longer outside?

I've seen people put umbrellas and parasols over paeonies to protect them from being ruined by the rain, but I guess that rain isn't your main concern here.

4. Jewell

Droppy thanks for looking.

I am hoping to keep the flower production on some perennials going a little longer. I've found that with the balloon flowers if I keep the spent flowers cut that keeps them producing flowers on side shoots.

With the Knautia I am noticing a lot of seed pods (balls) if I prune the stem back will that keep them going with flowers better. And phlox I know from past experiences that I should dead head, but how much? Will the side shoots keep blooming.

In the past I have just let things go to seed and not dead-headed. Now I guess I want to know which flower types (specifically perennials) continue producing with dead heading.

5. Jewell

Droppy, we got a week of really hot weather (up to 97F). I used your covering/shading idea and it really worked well especially for the mop-head hydrenga and asiatic lilies. My back yard currently looks like tent city, but many flowers will make it to this week-end which is all I wanted. After the engagement party for my son and his fiance nature can take its course in the garden.

[​IMG]
    garden tents for flowers???? ( photo / image / picture from Jewell's Garden )

Advertisement
  6. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Oh wow Jewell...I'm so glad you will still have color for the party! I never would have thought of tents!

7. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I am amazed that shading worked. :D I'd have thought the heat would get to them no matter what. I'm so pleased for you, and good luck with the party.

8. Petronius

Petronius Young Pine

This was informative to learn that shading would allow some perennials to flower longer.

2ofus likes this.