Question about planting Tulips

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by toni, Sep 2, 2007.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I bought Tulip bulbs today, the black Queen of Night
    and Red Oxford (the color is described as 'stop-light' red) I do not like pastel colors so these two are perfect for me. I have never grown Tulips...Daffs, Glads and Iris but not Tulips.

I am planning on planting them in an assortment of pots out front on the long bench and maybe some scattered around out back since I have 40 of the Oxford and 24 of the black.

The daytime temps are still in the 90's here so I won't be digging and planting outside anytime real soon. Even tho they would normally be sitting in display boxes in a comfortably cool store, should I put them in the refrigerator until I can get them planted? It seems like I should just so they don't ruin in the warm weather.

2. Loading...

3. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

They keep well in refrigerators, so that's what I'd do.

Good luck with them!

[​IMG]

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Thanks Droopy, I thought that would be a good idea. But having never grown them before I didn't want to turn them to mush by mistake.

Your picture of the Queen of Night is gorgeous. One of the members had them last spring and I put them on my 'have to have' list then.
    All I have ever find in stores around here are the usual yellow, pink, etc colors so I had never thought about planting them.

5. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

We got them as a present three years ago, and now the giver has passed away, so they are much treasured, I tell you.

6. blackrose

blackrose In Flower

with sentimental value. hope you get them flower and post them pics here. :)