Quiz Question: October 15, 2011

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Delly, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Delly

Delly In Flower

Well it is just past midnight here and I am so excited about going to the Abingdon Farmers market in the morning that I cannot sleep...soooo I am on here posting! lol

If you have a local farmers market, what are some of your favorite things for sale?

Frank likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Local farmers markets are a cornucopia of produce. Unless I am cooking something in a day or two, I look for items that will keep an extended period of time. Apples, beets, carrots, potatoes, winter squash, celery, garlic, onions or cabbage all fit that criteria.

Jerry

Delly likes this.
  4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Oh gosh it's difficult to choose but if Dooley were there then it would be her stall. Her aprons and tote bags would go down well here I'm sure. I also like their fresh fruits, when in season, and the cheeses and locally reared meat.

Delly likes this.
  5. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

There are beaucoup farmers markets locally. The one I prefer has vendors that have all natural/organic produce and pastured all natural beef, pork, poultry, and mutton.

Advertisement
  6. kathyd

kathyd In Flower

I go the the Amish markets in my area for free-range eggs, bulk goods, baked goods, produce...meats and poultry. Except for seafood the Amish Market has just about everything you could want. The prices are a little higher than the grocery store, but the quality is excellent. If I go into Philadelphia, the Reading Market is also a great place to get all of the above.

Delly likes this.
  7. Danjensen

Danjensen In Flower

has to be home made goods, pies, jams condiments etc or something special and local when it comes to fruit and veg.

Delly likes this.
  8. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Delly, I am going to get to the Abingdon Farmers next summer. I didn't know they had one there. It's only 4 hours from me.

kathyd, Is that Amish Market in Princeton, NJ or near Lititz, Pa? Roots Market is my favorite. Also just to be able to stop along the road at the veggie stands is wonderful.

The Reading Market in Philadelphia is wonderful. I have spent many a day there waiting for my daughter go get her treatments just down the street from it. I couldn't bring much home because, of course, my daughter was our first concern. Now, we can go and get all the meat and fish we want along with having lunch and dinner there. In between lunch and dinner we found this little place called foodery on Pine st.

http://www.fooderybeer.com/index.html

It's not a place to sit and eat but has a deli. I am really not interested in that but they have by far the largest selection of exotic beer. It's splendid there.

Now the question: I love to get food at good prices. Most of the time I have to buy in bulk of course. I choose what is cheep in that season and get ready to can or freeze. All the veggies. I have been known, when my daughter was little, to buy 800 pounds of tomatoes. I don't do that any more. That's a large project. I will buy a couple of bushels at a time for sauce, whole tomatoes, salsa, Spaghetti sauce and Mexican sauce. I even pickle things like brussel sprouts, white and green, carrots, cauliflower, beets. I have cut down on the size of jars canned and the volume since it's just my hubby and me now. Of course I water bath and pressure can, where appropriate, of course.

kathyd, Perkiomenville Auction Perkiomenville, Pennsylvania is yukky but great for eggs, produce, chickens, and they even have a butcher auction right out of the back of his chiller truck.You have to be careful but most of the stuff is fresh and good. We go for the meets and sell our extra chickens. That helps my spending... LOL

Barb in Pa

Delly likes this.