Rainy Day = Planting Day

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Sjoerd, Apr 7, 2023.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Rain here today, so some seeds went in.
    Te toms went into the root trainers— Roma San Marzano, Moneymaker, Mountain Rouge, Marmande and Roma VF. (Placed on a heating pad)

Then Purple Sprouting Broccoil and a flat of Cosmea.

The weather can’t change fast enough for me.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Sjoerd
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Sjoerd
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

This is so exciting! You finally were able to start your tomatoes! Congrats Sjoerd.

I was reading recently about the purple sprouting broccoli. Have you grown it before? It looks like an amazing winter/fall veggie.

Logan, Daniel W, Sjoerd and 1 other person like this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

5. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

Great news Sjoerd!

I like those Roma VF a lot. I hope you do too.

Pacnorwest, Melody Mc. and eileen like this.

Advertisement
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I have grown them before and I do like them, These were leftovers from an old pack. I hope that they come up. Older tom seeds don’t always remain 100% viable in my experience here.

7. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Yes, I know exactly how you feel Sjoerd. We get a nice day that allows for outside work, then a few rainy days to bring down our spirits.
    I love how you have 5 varieties of tomatoes, that should save space. I've just narrowed my tomatoes down to 22 varieties (from the 25 varieties last year). My daughter is mad that I've taken over her bathroom for my plant shelf haha

Logan, Pacnorwest and eileen like this.
  8. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Well my Dear Friend, we never know how much we can impact someone's life. :) I followed your link, and then followed the second link about "enviromesh". I have never seen or heard of such a product for the garden. We have large mosquito nets with hoops that are the same concept but it is not something I ever thought of for garden pest prevention.

I found some on Amazon ( with the caption "new to Amazon"), and after checking the reviews, very happily purchased some to try. This may be the answer to my Lygus Bug problem, not to mention my cabbage moths. We are going to try it to deter the deer from the berry bushes until they begin to flower. I also found some already in bag forms to protect fruit and vegetables. I will be using those to keep the Earwigs off of my tomatoes.

I'm also going to attempt ballooning some cut pieces over my cauliflower to keep the slugs out of the base of the head. That is a real problem for me, and they eat from the inside out. ( my slugs are multiple but small).

This is a great find Sjoerd, and I think it will make my life easier and my crops much healthier. We really appreciate you sharing it. I couldn't figure out what was over your beans hahaha I just thought it was floating row cover.
    upload_2023-4-8_12-42-10.jpeg

9. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

I found these seeds at small family owned seed company on the East Coast of Canada. They are on my list to try for next year, for sure. :)

Logan and Pacnorwest like this.