Record rain fall

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by carolyn, Oct 13, 2011.

1. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I saw today that the Cleveland area is set to reach an all time record for rain fall for the year. So far we are up to 51.62 inches of rain. :eek: ( I don't know how anybody got any gardening done, either.) and rain in the fore cast for the next several days! 90% chance tonight, so we'll probably reach it pretty soon. In 1990 there was a record of 53.83" and in 1878, 53.51" of rain. No dust baths for my chickens going on here.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Kildale
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Doghouse Riley
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

You can get your chickens the very popular book 'How to build an ark in less than 40 days.' It is now on sale in most Ohio bookstores. The authors name is 'Noah' or something like that.

Jerry

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

:D :D :D :D Very funny. Thanks for the tip. I'll look for that right away! ......

The directions call for pitch, What ever that is.... I seem to not be able to find that locally. Hmmmm, I wonder where he bought his?

5. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

Ahhh.... Ms. Carolyn, pitch is the boiled version of pine sap. One must 'soak' hemp rope in pitch and then wedge it between the planks used as a hull to make a vessel less likely to sink.

The use of hampsters to power a bilge pump is heartily recommended.

Unsolicited advice that is worth exactly what it cost. 8)

Advertisement
  6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Thanks FBG, As we are not allowed to grow our own hemp products, I'll just have to skip the whole project :rolleyes: (sigh) what a bummer. I figured it was maybe tar, but I have no idea where they would have gotten tar in that day. The local stores didn't keep it in stock. the hamsters might be a problem, also. I'd probably be fined and thrown in jail for animal abuse, just because I expected them to work! ( I wonder how long and how many people it took to produce the pitch)

7. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tar

I couldn't find a time or manpower reference. But here you go!

Hemp does grow naturally in Ohio. You might could get away with that explanation. Let me know how that works out for you :D

8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

That's alarming news, Carolyn.
    Do you have a canoe handy?

9. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

The best I can do Sjoerd is.... we live on a very high hill. the bottom land is very wide and deep in front of us. No need for a canoe other than to get to town.

Thanks FBG, I'll probably not go to the worry or effort. The urge is now past to start the project.

10. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Carolyn,
    that's a lot of rain,..our rainfall for the Midlands is 40 to 54 inches per year and we get lots of rain,..so you are up in the same figures as us,..but all records are being broken,..between flood levels and temperature levels,..not forgetting winds and droughts,..what's to come this winter?.

11. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

Been through high waters before. And wish I was on high hill. Not sure how much rain we got in 08. But alot of flooding amount of snow melting in spring-then rain.

12. kathyd

kathyd In Flower

We have had a lot of rain here in NJ too.

13. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Well folks, if you want to send some of your excess rain, we'll gladly accept it!
    When we first moved here, four years ago, we had the rainiest spring/summer/autumn on record. We had standing water in low places; were considering building an arched bridge to get to the shed; and had to be careful when we mowed not to bog down in the mud. Ah, fond memories . . . .
    I hope all of you dry out just enough, and we get wet just enough, but while you are looking up Ark plans, I'll be looking up well-drilling plans.
    Carolyn, that pinetar soaked hemp is called oakum, and it smells, is sticky, and really is not something you want to mess with!

14. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Jane, Every time it rains here, I think of you and feel very unthankful for all that we have here, BUT it has been an exceptional amount, even for us. We have rain in the fore cast almost everyday this coming week and have had it almost every day for the last week :( .