Red flowering quince finally bloomed

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by AAnightowl, Apr 11, 2019.

1. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

My red flowering quince has finally bloomed this year. It has never been so late before. It normally blooms in mid to late February through March. And it usually is covered in blooms and honeybees. This year is not so many blooms, and no honey bees yet. I did see 2 bumble bees this week--whether the same one twice, or two different ones I don't know. I have not had honey bees for about 3 or 4 years now. I hope it is not those vicious bumbles!

We have loads of wasps around.

And I got 4 eggs from my hens yesterday. This is the first time they have laid, I got them as chicks last fall. I did have 4 hens from the 6 chicks I bought. 2 turned out to be roosters, and 1 hen died over the winter. So, 3 hens laid 4 eggs yesterday, and perhaps a 5th egg? The eggs were sticky, so not sure. And I got 2 more eggs today. They are off to a good start.

Jewell likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I finally saw 1 honeybee this morning while mowing. I hope I get more.

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Your hens will give you an egg a day more or less, depending on the weather. Our hens shut down during the winter (late Nov., Dec. and early Jan. ) but now they are laying like crazy! Hens are such fun--silly birds with a high entertainment value.
    We have bees of different types showing up along with wasps, butterflies, and other pollinating insects.
    May I ask what variety of flowering quince you have? If it will survive here in Texas, I'd sure like to have one, just for the beauty of it.