Renovation is costing me heavy!

Discussion in 'Home Improvement, DIY and Repair' started by oubee, Aug 21, 2012.

1. oubee

oubee In Flower

Mum is having the plastic tiles on the first floor removed and replacing them with ceramic tiles. The works have been going on for 2 weeks now! Needless to say the house is in a mess, given that you have to use the ground floor to get materials onto the first floor. Grrrr.... We have been sleeping on mattresses on the floor and shifting rooms every other day.
    In all this, I found my nostrils have got more sensitive and are continuously burning. Same goes for my hands and feet such that I have to wear socks to keep my cold feet warm! It's 3 am here and am not sleeping due to an acute arm pain. Any tips for the remaining week? I'm fed up of all this, men continuously walking round the house, the dust, the noise, the pains and side effects that are taking a toll on my sleep, nay health :( Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Oubee

2. Loading...

3. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

You could hop on the next flight out and come to SE Texas. But then... you'd have to deal with mosquitos and temps near 100. And then there's the humidity. And oh yeah... it's the middle of Hurricane Season.
    But other than that... :-D

oubee likes this.
  4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Sleep on the roof. at least you will not have to be breathing the dust and dirt from the renovation.

Seriously, If you have a neti pot or similar, rinse your nasal passages out. use the solution for it and you will probably feel a little better.

oubee likes this.
  5. oubee

oubee In Flower

Cheryl, that would imply me leaving my plants in the lurch- a thought I could not bear. At least now I know they are up there and can heave a sigh of relief when it drizzles but thanks for the invitation; I'll definitely drop by some day ;)

Caro: I might, seriously! By the way things are going, I could be allowed entry into my bedroom tonight though I don't think I will be lucky enough to sleep on a bed. Mine lies disassembled and screws are scattered here and there. I tell you these men are careless. They will lose the screws and then charge you for bringing new ones back!

Neti pot, of course! I'll drop by the pharmacy later today. Why didn't I think of it earlier? I think all of my faculties are being affected :D I've been following an old wife's tale for my skin sensitivity: apply a little of oil over your feet and arms at mind and hydrating skin cream to get rid of the scaly skin syndrome =))

Seriously, now I have to tell these guys to hurry up with their work and get going. I want my haven back :(

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I know just how you're feeling!! We're in the process of having our roof replaced on our cottage. The mess, the noise, ceilings caving in and leaks everywhere. :'( We've still got at least another two weeks until the work is completed. :( I think we should join up and go away to somewhere relaxing and warm. :smt045

oubee likes this.
  7. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Oh, you poor dear! It will look good once it's done, of course. I think I would have pitched a tent in the garden, get my air mattress and sleeping bag out and pretend I'm camping. :D

Good luck!

oubee likes this.
  8. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Oubee, We just had anew shed built last week for the garden and there is still room left upstairs (for today, anway) you can stake your claim and snooze there. :D

oubee likes this.
  9. oubee

oubee In Flower

@ Eileen: how about we hit, hmm let's say... Hawaii? :D

Haha. Droopy, you have got a nice sense of humour. Am sure the mosquitoes out there will keep me company :D

@ Caro: Things are definitely better today. I'll try assembling my bed right away (after I've located the pieces that is) and get rid of the stacks of paper lying around. I just hope I don't throw away my Birth Certificates in the process :p

10. eileen

Hawaii here I come!! Get those bags packed oubee - we're off to have some fun in the sun. :D

11. Stevia

Stevia New Seed

Hi Oubee, you can continue with the renovation but can spare a room where you can put all the expensive items of the house and sleep at night. Keep that room closed during the day while the work is in progress as it would avoid any dust particles from entering inside the room. You can shift room as and when you complete the renovation work.

oubee likes this.
  12. oubee

oubee In Flower

Sorry, Eileen, a truck arrived to take away all the old mattresses just when I was leaving for the airport :D

@ Stevia: Precious tip there. I eventually realised I had to do the same. Sometimes I would have to go out with the workers still at work. I locked all valuables in one room and took the key with me.

As of now, the works are 90% completed. I love the new interiors. The room have been repainted though I opted to have my bedroom painted the same creme colour rather than the blue colour suggested by mum that was too bold for my taste :D The terrace looks terrific! Will share the pics soon!

And welcome to GS!! :flower2:

13. eileen

Well the two weeks have come and gone and things still aren't finished here Oubee. They started the roof on the 5th August and it was only supposed to take 3-4 to complete. It's nearly Novemeber now and they're saying another two weeks before everything is done!!! Needlss to say I'm not holding my breath waiting for them to finish. :rolleyes: The whole house is a mess as well as both the front and back gardens. I've almost forgotten what it was like to live life as a normal human being. :(

14. oubee

oubee In Flower

Hehe, just tell yourself it's worth the wait and the self-control not to shout your frustration out :D That's coming from someone who wanted to flee from her haven a few months back and now loves her new house even though things have not quite settled back. The paint's smell is dying out and by the second week of December, I'll have a brand new home and little cleaning up to do given I spent the last months doing the same :D

15. Stevia

Stevia New Seed

You can use net coverings around your bed or around the space you sleep this will keep you away from all the dust and irritating mites.

16. mart

mart Strong Ash

Hope you two are not paying by the hour !! Could have built a whole house from the ground up in that time !!