replacing sliding door for swing out/patio doors in basement

Discussion in 'Home Improvement, DIY and Repair' started by ruth, Jan 11, 2010.

1. ruth

ruth New Seed

hello everyone,
    We are finishing our basement, its a walk-in basement, the builder put in sliding doors, but I was thinking of replacing those with double-patio doors. I like the look of the "french" swing out doors, and wanted to get something more private, solid, no windows as the area near the doors will become a bedroom. This bedroom does have another window that doesnt face the sun, but a window nonetheless, its about 4x3 in size. I also wanted to get a better lock on the doors something more secure than the sliding doors for entry. My concern is: am I going to give up the lighting and regret the fact I dont have the option of opening the blinds if need be to let in more light, as the doors do face the sun in the morning just for the look, privacy and lock, or should I try and find,(and if you have suggestions, on locks for sliding doors,) I am considering that option too. and get vertical
    blinds or something for that door. I guess what it comes down to is, do I keep the sliding doors for the light, being it a basement and that being the biggest entry light, (besides the smaller window) the other side of the basement has no windows. and
    try to find, if there exists a more secure lock for sliding doors, like a deadbolt if I can install on sliding door, anyone know if thats possible? or go for the swing out look and get more privacy in the bedroom? not sure how much I would miss the light that the sliding doors bring. any suggestions?

2. Loading...

3. bobtheblindguy

bobtheblindguy New Seed

We had a new slider installed 4 years ago. When the doors are closed there is a locking mech. in the center at the floor level that can be engaged and disengaged with your foot. When it is engaged , the only way to get in is to break the glass. Very secure. Mine came with the door but I think it can be added.

4. Kershaws-Doors

Kershaws-Doors New Seed

Sliding doors are more flexible and more secure. These kind of doors have a separate locking system at the bottom which gives more security.

5. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

We have a sliding patio door off of our living room to an upper deck area.
    It's an Anderson door and is in very good shape considering it is probably over 12yrs old. But I hate it! Who ever put it in did not adjust it correctly and in the fall we have lots of flies, and lady beetles that creep in around the edges.
    I finally was able to put some extra weather stripping around the inside of the door which has helped keep the bugs out. But I sure would like to replace it with a French style patio door that would seal tighter. I guess if it was a newer door we probably would not have those issues.
    My Mom has a super great slide by patio door in the apt. she lives in. It has a built in locking storm door, and a built in screen door that also locks. Plus the sliding door itself has double pane glass. I always wondered why one can not buy commercial grade products. I would love to have one of the power flush toilets you see in store bathroom. :rolleyes: