Replanted hollyhocks not doing so well, help

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by lexxi, Jul 7, 2009.

1. lexxi

lexxi New Seed

My husband and I found some hollyhock plants in the field next to us, they are about 4 ft high, and Of course I wanted them. So he dug them up and we replanted them in our yard, the leaves are all wilted and lifeless and I am wondering if we killed it, any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Lexxi

moderator's note: added a more descriptive title to topic

2. Loading...

3. margie12u

margie12u In Flower

Hi Lexxi, I'm Margie I think all you have to do is keep watering it once a day or maybe even twice a day until they get started in the ground, Mine took almost a week and then started to shoot up I was so glad, I think it the water that really gets them going in the ground, I hope this helps lexxi. I would say don't let them get to dry. Have a good day Margie

4. lexxi

lexxi New Seed

Thank you Margie.
    It's so beautiful, huge magenta flowers and I was getting upset that I might have killed it. I will water and keep a close eye on it.
    Lexxi

5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

All plants go into transplant shock no matter where you get them from because their roots were disturbed.
    And possibly you didn't get all the roots when you dug them up so they have to recover from broken roots.

I'm guessing that you planted them in full sun or conditions like where they were growing in the wild? Do keep them watered but don't keep the soil around them soggy, over watering kills more plants than under watering. Once you notice the leaves looking better cut back on the watering, only watering when they look wilted again.

There is a good chance that they will not continue to bloom this season, but if they do die back don't pull them up. Water every once in a while thru the summer and fall and wait to see if they come back up next spring.

Advertisement
  6. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Hi Lexxi :-D I love hollyhocks too! If you'd like I have some mixed seeds that I could send you.

Deanna
    :-D

7. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Hollyhocks resent transplanting Lexxi, but I'm sure they will be fine eventually.
    I'll have some Hollyhock seed to share soon too :)

8. real_ale

real_ale New Seed

growing hollyhocks

Your best to grow them from seed, but they take 2 or even 3 years to get tall flowers, also they are prone to rust. i think they grow a big thick tape root so they don't like to be moved, sow they in modules and pot them on has they get bigger then plant them out where you want them to flower.

9. lexxi

lexxi New Seed

thank you all for your help. No thanks to the seeds, if it dies,I will probably not ever have anymore, it would just remind me that I killed it. Will keep you all updated on it progressand keep your fingers crossed.

Lexxi

10. lexxi

lexxi New Seed

Hi all! Well, the hollyhock is still blooming at the top but the leaves on the stem are still wilted. Will continue to watch.

11. lexxi

lexxi New Seed

Well, it doesn't look good for the hollyhock!! A few flowers bloooming at the top but the leaves and stems are turning brown :(. Is there anything else I can do?

Lexxi

12. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Keep up hope. You might not see any growth this year but the roots could survive, grow stronger the rest of the season and come back next spring.