Resting Pond Cleanup

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by bethie, Mar 3, 2008.

1. bethie

bethie Young Pine

Yesterday it was time for the annual still water pond cleanup. We usually do this in late fall but this year we were very busy (read lazy) and we did it yesterday. This is a 30 gallon still water pond where my plants from my koi pond go to rest and recuperate from the evil Koi. This gives a place for toads and frogs and dragonflies and such to lay their eggs. No mosquitos of course with the aid of those mosquito donuts that work great.
    First we pull out what plants were left. Then start scooping out the water with a bucket. It smells like the water in a vase of flowers that have been left too long. Only worse. Once most of the water is out we take out the frogs that just happen to be in there. These are all greenfrogs. They have much nicer personalities than bullfrogs and get quite tame. We put them in a bucket so they can go back in the new water.
    [​IMG]
    Then hubby starts scooping up water full of leaves and muck and runs it through and net and dumps it where I am sitting. Now I pick through it and find the tadpoles and other interesting things. It's like a treasure hunt, only grosser. :)
    [​IMG]
    I've always loved tadpoles. There are some dragonfly larvae in there too. They are ferocious tadpole predators but I love them anyway. Hard to believe this will be a beautiful dragonfly this spring.
    [​IMG]
    Now the pond is refilled and back in all the stuff goes. This frog is still unsure of just what happened here.
    [​IMG]
    Hubby is so happy to be done he could kiss a frog Unless he's hoping his prince will come! :D :D
    Ok honey, stop traumatizing the wildlife.
    [​IMG]

2. Loading...

3. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

:D I love that last photo! It's nice to discover I'm not the only one who love tadpoles. We hope to have frogs here once we get the pond(s) going. I'm amazed at those frogs just sitting there. I'd have thought they'd jump away quickly. You make the pool clean-up sound like lots of fun instead of hard work.

4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I know exactly the smell you mean Bethie. When we clean out our pond that stink just about knocks me over! I had no idea that was Dragonfly larvae!

5. petunia

petunia Young Pine

Sorry all, this is where I have to be differant ( we all have our own ways). I like my pond to be natural because I have fish. I don't empty mine out, though I do take a net and scrape the bottom for muck and dead leaves. Other then that it stays natural so the fish and frogs can eat off the algea on the sides and bottom. I have a pump that keeps the water moving especially in the winter time. Then I attach a fountian onto it come spring. I love hearing the sounds of a pond.

Advertisement
  6. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

It sounds like fun to me except I remember the vase smells and that is so bad.lovethe little frog in the last picture.

7. glasfryn

glasfryn Seedling

more or less what I do and although we have been losing fish there are plenty of frogs newts and insects even now and plenty of evidence of snails and there has been a distinct lack of ice over the pond this year (oh dear hope I have not courted bad weather)

G

8. kaseylib

kaseylib Young Pine

It's great to see some life from your pond. Mine is still ice covered, but I do keep my waterfall pump running throughout the winter and that keeps a spot open all year.

Come spring, I'll get my waders on and scoop out all of the leaves on the bottom. Last fall I covered the base of my pump with metal mesh screening to protect the hibernating frogs that overwinter in my pond. The last few years when they wake up for the first time in spring, I've had a few get a leg sucked into the pump. They're so sluggish when they first wake up, and I feel so bad when that happens.

9. SongofJoy57

SongofJoy57 In Flower

What neat pics! I love the clump of baby froggies, and will show my grandsons when they come to visit next time! Thank You.

10. MyGirlFriday

MyGirlFriday Seedling

Wow!!
    Great photos!!
    Love all of the frogs~sure could use a few for my pond.
    Last year my daughters friend brought me 2 frogs and I hadn't seen them since last fall.....Well today while moving plants in the pond who do you think hopped out of the way!???? My little froggy friend!!
    It is nice to have him back again!
    :stew1: :stew1: I love Spring!!! :stew2: :stew2:

11. Biita

Biita Arctic-ally Challenged Forager

Those are great pics,, and i have seen the dragonfly larve at the marshes, but no frogs, ever. The dragonflys are very plentiful here.

I love the last pic.... poor frog looks like "omg i made it thru winter, now what do i do!" i love it,,,lol.