Rethinking my Hardiness Zone

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by cherylad, Jan 3, 2013.

1. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

From various web sites and talking to folks for a few years, I've been under the impression that I'm in zone 9A. But after a visit to my brother and sister-in-law's home today (zone 9a), I think I need to reconsider my zone. They live about 45 minutes south and west of me and have lots of plants still in flower. The same plants in my garden.... frost-bit and brown twigs. Same scenario as Hubby's sister who lives near my brother.... plants still green and some with flowers. Mine... yep... twigs.
    So I'm thinking I need to be designated at 8b.
    But then, I looked up where a co-worker lives and she's in 8b. She gave me a Blue Plumbago in the Spring of 2012 to replace the mine that didn't survive that winter. She says her's stay green all winter. Mine now... brown twigs after the first frost. Same with Lantanas.
    So not only am I thinking I've been growing for the wrong zone... but does it matter that I live out in the middle of nowhere and they/she live in a city/suburb?

2. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

USDA Hardiness map has had you in 8b for a while
    http://letsgrowveggies.com/texas/77582/frost_dates/
    the same zone as your brother. They are further south and live in the city, they have the heat from concrete, roads, parking lots and way more cars than you do so that keeps them warmer than you are out in the country.

And yes, gardening in the city is totally different than in the country. My neighborhood, while in the city like everyone else around me, is still warmer than many places within just a few miles of me because I live in what is called the 'Heat Island' It comes up north from downtown Dallas and covers Carrollton, Addison, etc. We are in the middle of all the concrete and cars and that keeps us warmer than DFW airport (the official reporting station) which is only about 15 miles west of us.

Plumbago is a native of South Africa, so while during most of our winter they might stay green in a city garden, you probably have frost more than they can handle. Some Lantana are annuals and the first freeze takes them out no matter what your zone is....warmer winter will allow them to survive and return.

Remember that Texas has 8 ecological regions, sometimes the Hardiness zones don't guarantee the hardiness of a plant in all areas of a zone.

3. cherylad

I don't know where I got 9a... must have read the chart wrong or something. Even re-checked it when the zones changed last year. Hmmmm.
    And when I put in my brother's area code (and Hubby's sister), I get that they are in 9a.
    Hmmm... live in the city and get longer blooms or live in the country and battle the elements. I think I'll tkae the country-life. :-D

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Cheryl,
    When we moved we stayed (technically) in the same 8b zone, but about half the plants I brought with me from town either died or didn't thrive here on the farm. We get more wind, it's colder, and there's more predation from grasshoppers and other bugs.
    It's trial and error, but judging from your photos, your trials are mostly very successful.
    And I agree--I'll take the country life too :) !

Advertisement
  5. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

I'm not sure of my zone, it's 8a I think but I just plant and if it grows, it grows. I know some things die but it's from heat, lack of rain or grasshoppers. I just try again. Now, it's been colder this year so not much is growing but the lettuce. It freezes and then puts out new shoots.
    I enjoy living in the country, too. I haven't lived in a big city for 25 years and do not miss it.

dooley

6. cherylad

It was just a little dis-heartening to go a few miles and see lovely flowers/plants just to come home and see "dead". I guess I'm just suffering from the wintertime-blues.
    I do know that if certain plants do not come back in the spring, I won't be trying them again, no matter how much I liked them. But there are a few that I'll replant every year if I have to (like the "Cigar Plant").

7. toni

I have finally given up on Hollyhocks and Foxglove. They are supposed to be hardy in zones 4-8....but not Texas zone 8. :rolleyes: My Hollyhocks didn't make it through last summer and the one little Foxglove I have is really suffering.

8. cherylad

For the last couple of years, I have been getting plants, seeds or starts from my aunts who all live within 5 miles of me. So I expect those will be okay. I think I need to go visit a few more folks and see what they have surviving now and beg/borrow some starts and/or seeds.
    I also heard an announcement on the local radio for the master gardener's club next meeting. Just might have to check into that.

9. toni

Cheryl, there was a discussion of the master gardener program a couple of years ago.... Becoming a Master Gardener... I want to but I am nervous

Personally, I would bet that you already know more good gardening information about an assortment of plants than you would learn in the course....especially when you talk with your Aunts, friends and neighbors about local plants and ask questions here or do google searches. And you have learned it all for less than some of the courses cost. ;)

10. cherylad

11. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Cheryl, I have not had good experience with the Master Gardening program. When we lived in town there was a MG group who basically sold plants twice a year and then disappeared. I fielded questions from gardeners because no "master" gardener could be found. Volunteer hours were basically spent in the group's greenhouse, growing plants to sell.
    There is a requirement for volunteer hours, and the course fee is greater than $15 (which sounds like yearly dues).
    I agree with Toni in that you could probably teach a Master Gardener course! There is nothing like local knowledge imparted by gardeners who have been there and done that.
    And WE are your gardening buddies! (Just don't expect me to show up and help weed.)

12. cherylad

Jane... no one or no organization could EVER replace my Garden Stew buddies!
    I sent them an email asking for more information. If it's just a garden club, I wouldn't mind mingling with the locals.
    But if it's a course... and it costs $200... NO WAY! By my calculations, that's roughly 100 plants from the $1.99 markdown table! :eek:

Frank likes this.